Chapter 42: Homage

▬ஜ۩ஜ▬

James and I talked until morning. He wanted to know everything, so I explained it to him as simply as possible and told him the whole truth. He was somewhat bitter that I had kept it from him, but eventually agreed with Alexander's plan of keeping the Sorrow a secret. Of course he tried to push his way into coming with me when my time came to leave, but I made it very clear to him that I wouldn't allow it. Thankfully he stopped and realized I was right.

He did offer a word of advice, about something I'd been putting off. He told me I needed to tell Alexander about my upcoming move, that he deserved to know the whole truth sooner than later. I knew he was right, but I had put it off for so long that it was going to be a hard truth to utter.

James and I watched the rising sun together that morning, but all of my thoughts were on Alexander. All I could think about was how happy I was that the spell worked.

Two days passed, they were slow and miserable days, each being a day without him in it. I went to visit him the first day, late that afternoon to check on his condition, but was turned away. It was the same story the second day as well. I was told he asked for no visitors while he was recovering. Instead of moping indoors, I took to the grassy field with Felicia to hone my abilities. I worked out all my frustrations through wielding and surprisingly the worn feeling I was left with made me feel better. And as a bonus my skills were improving.

The third day came. I rolled over and squinted, my uncovered face was greeted by the soft beams of light that peeked through the curtains. Morning already, I grumbled. It felt like I just laid my head down moments before. I sat up and groaned in pain, yesterday's exercises had really taken a toll on my lower back. I slumped forward and held my hand to my back.

Today was my birthday. I shuddered and fell face first into the mattress. Nothing good ever came from celebrating my birthday. It always made me uncomfortable pretending I was happy on this joyous day when I wasn't. I hated it, mostly because it was a day of recollection for me. Before my time here I would wake up and wonder if this was going to be the last birthday I would celebrate.

Each year got a little harder...

"Happy Birthday," Amelia sang in a soft whisper. I could tell she was nervous about something, by the small tone she used.

My eyes peered over at the table; sitting around it was James, Cassandra, Felicia, and Andrew. They were partaking in a large breakfast that spread across the tabletop.

I pulled Amelia to the side. "Why didn't you tell me I had guests."

She smiled and whispered. "They wanted it to be a surprise. You look fine, don't worry." She grabbed my hand and forced me to join my guests.

"Happy Birthday Lady Alanis," Felicia was the first to spot me; she dropped her fork as she shouted her greeting. Her blue eyes were huge as she shouted gleefully.

"Alanis, I told you to call me Alanis. Remember... yesterday in the field?" I reminded her with a tap on her shoulder, she smiled up at me.

"You're lucky she called you that instead of Oraur Lahre." James commented while standing respectfully, Andrew followed his lead and pulled out a chair for me.

"Thank you," I said while sitting down at the end of the table. I watched as James and Andrew took their seats. I smiled, thinking how strange it was to have everyone here. I never expected to be sitting at the same table with them, unless it was required.

"So how old are you?" Felicia stabbed a strawberry with her silver fork. Everyone's eyes directed over to me, all but James who already knew the answer to that question. "Well," she asked again, it almost seemed malicious in nature.