Chapter 48: Berthold's New Queen

I sat in silence in the back corner of the great hall, away from eyes, but close enough to hear the votes of the High Court. The king and his court were hearing proposals, and requests from Berthold's residents. Alexander would listen to a request or read from a proposed scroll and discuss it amongst his men. They would then decide if it was a worthy endeavor by conducting a vote. Without a doubt this was one of the most boring things I ever had the pleasure of sitting through. The grand idea to join the meeting came to me in the early morning, before first light, so my lack of sleep and the tedious nature of the meeting were trying my will to keep upright and alert.

The morning light rained upon him silently, highlighting every curve I wished to touch. For the first time, I found musing over his handsome features practical. It kept my sleepy mind awake and it also made me happy. He was silent, appearing to be deep in thought between reads. I could only imagine it was the realization that today would be his last day as a bachelor. His dead stare continued as his men carried on.

The gruff, tall-standing Council spoke his vote, he was the last to cast his vote out of seven, his choice would determine the widening of Berthold's perimeter walls. His stark, nay, shot down the proposal. He stepped back, behind Alexander as he sealed the rejected proposal. They then went on to discuss the next scroll.

His Council, Harold, handed him the wound parchment. Alexander began to unwind the thin strip of leather that zipped around the scroll. His hand stopped midway around it. He sat there as still as a statue. His Council and High Court watched on, each wore a baffled stare, no doubt they were musing over what was holding up their king. But I knew the cause. The soft tolling of the temple bells bounced throughout the hall. They tolled the song he and I were both fond of, our song, God's Oath.

"Your grace, is something--" Harold's question was interrupted as Alexander rose his hand, he stepped forward cautiously to hear his orders.

"I will read no more requests today. I'll see to it to make time to go over them in the morrow," Alexander said while handing his questioning Council the scroll.

"Your grace, are you sure...? It was our goal to get through these so you wouldn't be bothered with them. I'm sure your bride-to-be would protest against her king working the day after their wedding."

"We shall meet when I say so," Alexander countered, his voice was low and reeked of hidden anger for his Council's continued questioning.

"As you wish, your grace," Harold replied, his wounded stare dropped with his head as he stepped behind him.

Everyone stood, their heads bowed respectfully as Alexander rose to his feet. I waited patiently as the room emptied. Finally, Alexander's march stopped in front of the row I had taken seat in. He looked surprised to see me. I wondered if he was upset that I had heard his Council's remarks or seen him freeze during the morning bells.

"I hope this doesn't mean you won't hear my request." I smiled while daintily bowing my head.

The night before, Felicia expressed concerns over her sister's relationship with James. She was worried that they'd be found out and punished over that relationship. I told her that a young mind like hers shouldn't worry over adult matters. When that didn't work, I assured her that their issue would be resolved and she needn't worry anymore about it. When I told her that I wasn't sure how I'd be able to back my promise, but this morning I remembered I had one last favor I could redeem.

He closed the hall doors and tilted his head to his guarded shoulder, his eyes wandered back to his chair at the other end of the hall.

"I'm pleased you came by," he replied with a return smile. "Come, take a seat. I could use a friendly talk right now."