Chapter 6: Blair's Oath

Barbara's TavernBertholdNight

Barbara's Tavern
Berthold
Night

Much to Alanis' chagrin, they met up with Andrew and had dinner at the local tavern they frequented nightly. As they entered the pub, James and Andrew were both greeted with sloppy shouts from several other patrons.

After their meal, Alanis and her companions, lounged in their private booth with a wide assortment of ales. By the time James started telling Andrew about his heroic slaying of the serpent, the pair were completely inebriated. Not having much else to do, Alanis observed their interactions, rolling her eyes on several occasions while James drunkenly told his story.

   As the story went on, she quit paying attention out of boredom. James was going on, sparing no detail, about their walk now. She pondered briefly, why he even bothered going out of his way to tell it. Hell, having lived through it once was enough for her.

After awhile, she found her mind slipping away with thoughts, wondering about the story Alexander had told her. She had a hard time believing the things he said, but was disturbed nonetheless.

   Was he lying? What gain would he have telling me something so horrible if it wasn't true?

   Was it true, was I lied to my entire life, were they secretly murdering us because of our powers?

   Alanis lowered her eyes, feeling alone, and troubled as she thought about home. As much as her uncertainty bothered her, she was still compelled to return, even now, consequences be damned. And in turn, the more she thought about Larska, the more alone she felt. Even the tavern seemed quiet despite the many voices surrounding her. It was evident she didn't fit in this place, she had little, to no clue about the culture, and beliefs of these people.

Alexander said those that could wield were touched by the gods. Were these gods some sort of supernatural force, what on Terra were they, she wondered then remembered his offer to help her recall her last days in Larska.

   Should I go through with it? It may help me figure out what happened...

New Moon wouldn't be until a few more nights—five after tonight. James explained how the ritual worked while they walked to the tavern. He told her that Alexander could somehow open her mind to his, and once in, he would be able to uncover her lost memories.

Maybe...

Alanis picked up one of the drinks James had ordered and took a sip from it without thinking. Almost immediately, she lurched in her seat and spat out the horrible liquor in a spray of mist to the table below.