Return of the Mommy

AUGUST'S POV

We pulled up to my mom's house and I got out of the car. While I was getting Ava-Jai out of her car seat, Nique looked through the baby bag to make sure everything was inside. Since its pretty time consuming to take the car seat in and out of the car, we usually just take her out and cover her with her soft pink blanket.

I carefully removed her from her car seat, trying my best not to wake her up. Once I got her out, I let her lay her head on my shoulder before covering her up with her blanket. I grabbed her pacifier out of her car seat then closed the back door. Nique was waiting for me with Ava's diaper bag and her purse.

"Wait, give me her pacifier so we don't lose it." Nique said before taking the pacifier and sticking it in the diaper bag.

I slipped my hand into her hand before we walked inside my moms house. We could hear laughing and talking once we got inside. We came over for New Years Eve dinner, but considering the fact that we've never had a dinner for New Years Eve, I think my momma just set this up so she could show off Ava. We stepped into the kitchen and everyone was in there talking.

"It's about time you three showed up." My Aunt Sheryl said. "I'm ready to see our little doll baby."

"She's asleep right now, Auntie." I stated. "I gotta go lay her down."

"Alright." She sighed.

"Don't worry Ms. Sheryl. When she realizes that nobody is holding her, she'll wake up." Nique chuckled.

Aunt Sheryl laughed. "You two have her that spoiled?"

"No, momma is the one who has her like that." I said. "Every time we drop her off, she holds her from the minute she gets here till the second she leaves."

"Now Shelia you know you can't do a baby like that." Aunt Sheryl shook her head while chuckling.

While they were talking, I took that as my chance to go lay Ava down.

I went upstairs to my old room that was now Ava's nursery for when she's here with my momma. I laid her on the changing table and took off her little coat. After taking off her coat, I slid off her tiny shoes and gloves. She whimpered a little, so I gently slipped her paci in her mouth to keep her asleep. I folded up her coat and placed her shoes and gloves on top of it before slowly picking her up and laying her in her crib.

I grabbed the baby monitors off the shelf and turned them on. After leaving one near the crib, I took the other one downstairs with me. I walked into the dining room and saw that my mom, my aunt, and Nique were already eating. Nique got up and handed me my plate when she saw me walk in.

"I fixed your plate while you were upstairs." She stated.

"Thank you baby." I lightly kissed her cheek.

We sat back down and my aunt began to talk.

"August, you've got yourself a great woman beside you." Aunt Sheryl said to me. "When do you plan on marrying her?"

I mentally rolled my eyes at the subject she had chose to talk about. Why does everyone feel the need to ask me that?

"We're not ready for all that yet, Auntie." I mumbled before taking a bite of my macaroni.

"Are you sure it's not just you who's not ready?" She asked. "I bet Zonnique is ready."

"Well, she's sitting right there. Ask her." I said with a slight attitude.