Happy Birthday: Stenbrough

VERY IMPORTANT:
please please please, i started writing this book over a year ago. some of my old oneshots are hoRribly written and have horrendous plots. so PLEASE skip until some of my later works. i think the shots when i stop using uppercase letters are a lot more well written ( you can tell if they're in lowercase based on the titles! )so i'd recommend reading those first!

New book cover!

Bills P.O.V:
I closed the front door forcefully, but not too forcefully, behind me. I huffed frustratedly, setting my work bag down on the floor. I pulled off my work shoes and walked into the bathroom in our small apartment. I washed my hands before splashing my face. I looked in my reflection in the mirror: I looked beat. I had huge purple and blue bags under my eyes, my green eyes not twinkling like usual. Although my hair was neatly styled like usual, it still managed to look thin and too red. My cheeks looked warm and I felt anxious. At least I had the evening to just me and Stan. I sighed, turning off the faucet and leaving the bathroom. I stumbled into our little kitchen, rubbing my tired eyes. Stan was in there, humming to some classical song while chopping up some carrots. Stan was a health freak. I managed to smile softly, sneaking up behind him and shaking my arms around his waist. He gasped, dropping his knife on the cutting board. He cranes his neck, his honeycomb coloured eyes meeting mine. He scoffed, snaking my arm playfully.
" Bill Denbrough! You scared me!" He said, giggling softly. I forced a chuckle, pecking his lips. " I was just making a little stir fry before we go. Mike said it's just gonna be snacks, so if thought I'd make us a small dinner before me head out." I internally facepalmed. I'd forgotten that it was our pal Wills birthday. So much for a quiet night at home. Stan threw the vegetables in the saucepan as I let go of his waist. " So," he said, grinning from ear to ear, "how'd the interview go?" He said. I shrugged, fiddling with the collar of my work shirt. His grin immediately faded. " You didn't get the job?" He said, his words dripping of sadness. I shook my head, Stan sighing sadly. " Aw babe." He said, dropping his stem of broccoli on the cutting board and wrapping his arms around my waist. I held onto the back of his soft shirt, leaning down to rest my head on his shoulder. I inhaled the sweet and familiar scent. " What happened?" He asked, pulling on my waist to get me closer to him. I shook my head.
" Take a w-w-wild guess." I said, scoffing when I practically said the answer. My fucking stutter. It's what was always getting in my way. I guess I should've known, trying out for public speaker for the company, that I wouldn't get it. They'd pick some straight guy with a deep voice and perfect white teeth. Who was a confident speaker. How did they intend on finding a confident speaker, if their intention is to critic you so bad that you crawl even further into your shell?
" You're just not what we're looking for." They said. " With that awful stutter, nobody would be able to understand." They could've at least expressed it more gently. Of course, none of this is ever tell Stan. Or anyone, for that matter. It was too difficult to communicate. I was doing everyone a favour by keeping my mouth shut. I squeezed Stan's back tighter, burying my face further in his shirt.
" I w-w-wanted that job s-s-s-so bad." I said, squishing my face more when I could barley get the words out. Stan patted my back, kissing my cheek gingerly.
" I know babe," he cooed, " I know."

~ TIME JUMP ~

After devouring a quick stir fry, we headed from our apartment to Mike and Wills place. I fiddled with my seatbelt the whole way there, watching Stan anxiously drum his fingers in a rhythmic beat on the steering wheel. We were both pretty stressed after I'd lost the job, and we were just hoping to get through tonight. Stan pulled into the driveway, turning off the ignition and turning in his seat to look at me.
" Hey, Bill. Look at me." He said. Emerald green met honeycomb brown as I stared into his light orbs. " We're gonna get through tonight okay. For Will." I nodded, knowing what he meant. I still cracked my knuckles nervously as we exited the car. Stan linked his arm with me was we walked up the steps to their semidetached house. Stan extended his hand, ringing the doorbell. I continued cracking my knuckles, only for Stan to grab one of my hands. One, to show support, and two, to get me to stop. He hated it when I did anything that could possible harm me in the future. The door was pulled open, little Will appearing on the other side. Will and Stan had been friends since grade school, mainly through Eddie since he was friends with the two of them. The three were best friends. Sure, Richie Mike and I had gone out for a few drinks and such. We'd never have the same kind of bond the three of them had. Will smiled up at us. " Happy birthday Will!" Stan said happily, stepping inside and out of the cold to hug his best friend. Will blushed, hugging back. I stepped inside the warm house.
" Happy b-birthday W-w-w-w-w..." I cursed under my breath, internally kicking myself for my stutter. Will giggled. I felt my face heat up, embarrassment taking over. He laughed at my stutter. I'm sure he only went it in a friendly way, but I still was upset that he thought I was funny. I didn't want my words to be funny. I began cracking my knuckles nervously again. Will called something to Mike as Stan leant over, standing on his tippytoes to whisper in my ear.
" Babe. Calm down." He whispered. I sighed, taking one of his hands in mine to stop myself from cracking my knuckles. Mike came bustling into the room.
" Hey Guys!" He said, hugging us lightly. I let go of Stan's hand to hug him back. " Come in, Come in." He said, ushering us further into the room. Will closed the front door as we kicked off our winter boots and shedded off our jackets. We threw them down, walking into the kitchen. There were lots of snacks on the table, like Stan said, and Stan headed straight for the veggies. Like I said, health freak. I, on the other hand, headed for the chips. I stuffed a few in my mouth. I'd learnt that eating was a good excuse not to speak. You can't talk with your mouthful, right?
" So," Stan said, swallowing his carrot stick, " what'd you get for your birthday?" He asked, entwining one of our hands once more. I smiled, looking at Will as he thought.
" Um, Mike got me some socks that I needed." He said. I beamed at the small boy.
" Is th-th-th-th-th... dammit. Is th-th-that all?" I asked, sighing with relief that I'd finally gotten my words out. Wills laughed, smiling at me. I gulped, withdrawing my hand from Stan's and fidgeting with it. Will was laughing at me again. I knew I shouldn't have been that sensitive, since he was probably just being a normal guy, but I was still on edge. More then anything, I just wanted that evening to be over.

~ TIME JUMP ~

" Cmon babe, let's dance." Stan said, placing one hand on my hip and the other on my shoulder. I did the same to him, as we swirled around the room. I'd been drinking, but only about half a bottle of beer, and I handled my alcohol well. I wasn't drunk. Stan was staying clean for the drive home. I didn't drink much either. Stan rested his head on my shoulder as we danced carelessly around the room.
" You okay?" He asked. I nodded, shaking my shoulder to get his head off. The truth was, I was fucking frustrated. I just couldn't shake it! Every word I said, every comment I made: it always interfered. It was embarrassing and was costing me big time. I'd lost a job because of it. Who knows: maybe my boyfriend was next. Stan sighed, accepting my lie. I knew that he knew what was wrong. But he'd never really know what was wrong. Understand it, I mean. Mr. Stanley Uris who got a 93 in public speaking and complained, while I sat in the corner perfectly content with my 72. He'd never get it. I sighed again, spinning around the room rambunctiously with Stan. We were carelessly knocking over bowls and tables and chairs. I heard Stan holler to Will that he'd clean it up, it it barely processed in my mind. I was too busy yelling at myself. For not being able to fucking speak.
" EVERYONE GET YOUR ASSES IN HERE!" I heard Mike yell, making me flinch as we spun towards the voice. Stan grinned goofily, galloping with me to the table. We stood with everyone else by the dining room table.
" What's up Mike?" Dustin said. Dustin was a friend of Mike and Wills. I'd never really been close with him, since I rarely responded when people spoke to me in fear of my stutter. I was dozing off, worrying about my stutter, when Mike started singing.
" Happy birthday to youuuu!" He sung. Everyone joined in. I felt my cheeks heat up, my heart pounding in my ears. I kept my mouth zipped shut. Stan looked over, nudging me gently in the ribs as they sung the next phrase. I sighed, opening my mouth.
" H-h-happy b-birthday dear W-w-w-w-w..." I clenched my fists tightly, feeling my anger bubble. Cmon B-b-Bill! Spit it out! I clenched my teeth together, yelling. " H-H-HAPPY B-BIRTHDAY T-T-T-T..." I groaned loudly, storming out of the room as the song finished. I marched down the hall and into the bathroom, punching the bathroom wall defeatedly. I couldn't even fucking sing happy birthday! I groaned again, punching the wall again. I suddenly felt two strong arms grip my wrists, spinning me around. Frustrated tears stung in my eyes, but I could make out a blurry Stan.
" Bill calm down!" Stan yelled. I shook my head.
" I C-C-CANT STAN! I CANT EVEN F-F-FUCKING SPEAK!" I hollered, lifting my hands in defeat. Normally, Stan would've scolded me for cursing. This was different though. He grabbed my arms, forcing them down to my sides. He cupped my cheeks, wiping away an angry tear off my pink cheek. I breathed heavily through my nose, fumes practically coming out of my ears.
" Bill, Bill listen to me. Don't you dare think that you can't speak. You have the most beautiful voice I've ever heard, and I wish you'd use it more!" Stan exclaimed, gripping my face tighter to prevent me from turning away. I slowed my breath to a normal pace.
" Th-th-that's a lie." I whispered. Stan smiled sadly, wiping another tear off my cheek.
" It's true Billy. I think your stutter is cute," he smirked, " and sexyyy." I smiled through my tears, holding onto Stan's hips.
" Really?" I said, my first sentence of the day without my stutter. Stan giggled quietly.
" Really really." I smiled, bending over to peck his perfect lips. " Now, let's get back to that party." I nodded, taking Stan's hand.
" O-okay." I said, smiling at my stutter. My stutter that made me unique. My stutter that Stan thought was cute and sexy. I smiled as we walked out of the bathroom. The scene before me was strange: the room was completely empty, except for Richie Mike Eddie and Will who were all hugging in the middle.
" Group hug?" I managed to say without a stutter. Will turned to look at us with smiling eyes. He opened his arms, signaling to us to join the hug. I smiled, agreeing.

Haha here ya go ❤️