pretty: byler

will's p.o.v:

a click. i stepped back from my bed and crossed my fingers, eyeing my old rusty stereo that was perched atop my covers. a few seconds of silence, before every breath you take by the police started playing. i exhaled in relief, happy my oldened stereo still had some energy left, as i skipped over to my closet.

" every move you make." i quietly sung, my words no louder than a whistle of wind from outside. it'd been starting to get warm again in hawkins, the last of march's chilling breezes and unexpected downpours coming to an end, and i couldn't wait for summer. " i'll be watching you." i sung absentmindedly under my breath, as i threw open my closet.

sure i was excited for spring, who wouldn't be, but there was more to my cheerful bubbly mood. mike and i had plans that day. mike and i had started dating at the snowball that very school year, and although we'd decided to keep it a secret from everyone else, we were still happier together than we'd ever been. i silently bopped my head to the song as traced my fingers over the clothing items in my closet.

i needed something nice to wear for our date that day. mike and i hadn't had a ton of time for the previous two months or so, thanks to first term exams as well as starting new classes straight away afterwards. so when mike had asked if i was available that partly cloudy late march afternoon, i'd been ecstatic and cleared my whole day for him.

i finally came across a nice pairing for our date: some nice navy blue jeans, and a simple white t-shirt mike had told me he liked once. i grinned, setting the simple yet nice outfit aside along with some plain cotton boxers. " i'm dreaming that i can only see your face." i sung softly, dancing over to bedside table. 2:18, the clock read. exactly one hour and forty-two minutes until mike would come fetch me for our date. i sighed, realizing i had a ton of time and didn't need to change out of my navy dressing gown and slippers just yet.

then, the best idea came to my mind. i grinned a little, listening as the song switched to 20th century boy by T.rex. i giggled quietly to myself, running back to my closet. i reached into the back of my closet, rummaging around through the contents on my closet floor until i came upon a large paper bag, and yanked it out.

my family wasn't rich. for crying out loud we were barely scraping by, although things had been better recently since jonathan got a job at the hawkins post. however when i got back from the upside-down, a couple years prior, hopper had pulled me aside. he'd shoved an envelope into my hands, and when i'd peeked inside it had been full of money. when i'd asked him what it was, he said something like compensation or insurance or for your troubles. i hadn't really understood, but it was money i couldn't say i had minded. hopper had said it was from the government, and that it was just for me. i didn't have to share with anyone.

so i'd done just that, kept it all to myself. i had run with the several hundred dollars to the nearest department store, since starcourt mall hadn't yet been built at that time, and bought all the pretty clothes from the girls section i'd never had the money to get. even with the dozens of articles that i'd purchased i still had almost two hundred dollars left, which i'd given to my mother later that day after having hidden all the clothes away. i had always felt guilty for lying, but hopper had said it was my money hadn't he? i knew plenty of kids who wouldn't even have given their parents that small portion of it.

i set the bag of beautiful clothing down beside my outfit for later, and started fishing around for an outfit, whilst humming along to the song. " fly like a plane. drive like a car." i sung softly as i pulled out a sparkly pink t-shirt. it was a tad short, a lot shorter than my other polos and stuff, but i didn't mind whatsoever. i loved it. i grinned happily, setting the sparkly pink shirt down on my bed. i had so much time before mike came over, i had time to mess around and put on nice clothes. the clothes i wished i could've worn outside.

" 20th century toy." i sung, with a goofy grin on my face, as i pulled out some denim shorts. i could've sworn jane had the same ones. they were fairly short, and more tight fitted than any of my normal shorts that i wore in the summer. i grinned, setting them down. " i want to be your boy." i sung, as i dropped my dressing gown to the floor.

i hurriedly put on the clothes, before scrambling to the little mirror i kept in my room. my humming stopped as i looked at myself in the mirror, running my fingertips over the soft shirt clinging to my chest. you could see a sliver of my stomach between the bottom of my shirt and the top of my shorts. i smiled weakly to myself, doing a little spin in my mirror. i wish i could wear this outside. i thought sadly, although i knew it could never be more then a dream. it'd never be accepted. not by the town. not by my family. not even by mike-

" hey will i know i'm early but my parents were-" i let out a quiet scream, spinning around to look at my bedroom door. mike was standing there, lips parted as if he were struggling to breathe, his cocoa eyes wide as saucers. my heart went erratic in my chest, my scrawny arms wrapping around my mid-drift as a weak attempt to hide what was blatantly obvious: that i liked girls clothes.

" m-mike i uh..." my trembling lips stumbled for words, not sure how exactly i could cover for myself. mike swallowed thickly, sweat forming on my brow as my squeezed my middle tighter between my arms, my airway seeming to tighten as he drew nearer. i kept my eyes glued to his, too scared to look away, as his cold yet soothing hands closed around my arms. i looked up at him, absolutely terror written on my face.

" it's okay." he said softly, gently pulling on my arms. i felt fearful tears cloud my vision, my face growing redder as the seconds went by, absolutely mortified by what mike had walked in on. " will it's okay." he said, concern written on his face. he leant down and planted a gentle kiss to my forehead, my nerves backing down a little. i slowly let my arms relax, allowing him to gently pull them away.

i watched mike's cocoa eyes leave mine, slowly trailing down my body to examine my outfit. i thought i may have passed out when mike set his hands on my hips, gently running his thumbs over my hipbones through my tight denim shorts. my face went aflame when i heard his breath hitch as he eyed my top. i squeezed my eyes shut, not knowing what to expect. " will." i heard mike whisper, but i kept my eyes shut. i was too terrified.

" will." mike whispered, and i let out the breath i didn't know i was holding when his warm forehead rested against mine. " you're okay, i promise." he said, my fight against my tears growing harder as the seconds ticked by. i felt a few escape, trickling down my heated cheeks. " aw baby, please. just look at me." i heard mike whisper gently, his hands moving from my hips to gently cup my flushed face. he wiped away my tears with his thumbs, and i couldn't help but open my eyes.

" i-i-i'm s-sor-"

" will baby don't even finish that sentence." mike interrupted, pecking my lips to silence me. i blushed even harder, just wanting to know how he felt about it all. " will... you're absolutely stunning." he said, a quiet sob leaving my lips. i was beyond relieved that he wasn't grossed out. i wrapped my arms around his waist, burying my face in his shoulder. he quietly shushed me, rubbing my back and gently stroking my hair. " you're so pretty." he whispered, his words and breath tickling my ear.

" th-thank you." i hiccuped, holding onto him like he was the only thing keeping me afloat. i felt him smile into my hair as he placed a gentle kiss to the top of my head, his slender arms wrapping around me protectively. i sighed blissfully, leaning into his caring hold.

" of course." he said softly, holding onto me. i sighed softly, fiddling with the back of his shirt. mike had always made me feel special, like i was his world. but for the first time ever,

he'd truly made me feel pretty.

yea idk what this is i'm sorry my oneshots have been so rough lately.