back: byler

new title/ cover!

oneshot requested by the amazing fiery-libraa & Lyndsee_Schnapp

( also eleven isn't in this cause yea lmao )

tw ! severe injury

will's p.o.v

nothing could've shocked me more than receiving that call that cold january evening. it was from the wheeler house, which wasn't out of the ordinary, since mike and the other party members continued to call quite frequently after we moved. however mike always did seem to call me a little more than the rest of them.

what shocked me was when i picked up the phone and lifted it to my ear to ask who it was i was met with a heartbreaking sob. it was nancy wheeler. i was consoling her in an instant, telling her that whatever had happened would be okay and things would get better, even if i didn't know that for sure. once she had self composed herself enough to speak she blurted out what had happened in one simple sentence before bursting into another loud fit of sobs. my own crying followed suit.

mike had been hit by a car.

day one since the call. i didn't go to school that day. i stayed home all day, curled up under the sheets, trying to stifle my whimpers and sobs so my mother wouldn't hear and come into my room ( she'd insisted on taking the day off too. ) i kept my door open a fraction, my eyes blurry with tears forever on the small gap, as i waited for the phone out in the hall to ring. it didn't.

day two since the call. the phone rang again that afternoon, that time having been mrs. wheeler. she said mike had fractured his hip, and was having surgery that day to have some parts removed and replaced with metal. he'd be going home three days afterwards. i cried again once she hung up the phone.

day five since the first call. mom had made me attend school again that day, however just as i got home the phone had rung and i'd been there in a flash. it was nancy. she had called to tell us that mike had just gotten home but he was on too many prescribed medication to talk because of how much pain he was in. she said that she wished we were there before hanging up.

that's where i got the idea. when mom got home that night i proposed an idea, and i begged and pleaded until she complied. i asked her to let jonathan take me back to hawkins. jonathan had already agreed, wanting to see nancy (almost) as badly as i wanted to see mike. we had a long weekend coming up, so it was the perfect opportunity to go see the wheelers and the rest of the party. it was a long drive, but it would be worth it.

day seven since the first call. as soon as school finished up that friday i ditched my school backpack at home and grabbed my packed duffle bag, which had enough clothes and supplies for the upcoming three days. i waved goodbye to mom and climbed into the passenger seat of jonathan's car, as we sped back to hawkins indiana, both of us consumed by an unbearable mixture of fear and excitement. mostly fear, on my part.

the hum of the old rickety engine shut off as jonathan parked in the wheeler's driveway. my breath hitched in my throat. we were in hawkins. in the wheelers driveway. we were home. i let out a shaky breath, peering out at the familiar scene in front of us: the grass looked a little browner, what with winter quickly approaching. the air looked a little crisper. there were a few more orange and red leaves scattering the lawn than the last time i'd been there. however it was still the same as i remembered it.

" you okay buddy?" jonathan asked softly, catching my attention and pulling my eyes from the house before us. i looked into his eyes: anxious and excited, as his tongue nervously darted out to lick over his dry lips. i nodded slowly. i just wanted to see mike. he shot me a soft smile, reaching over and pushing some caramel hair out my eyes, before he yanked the keys from the ignition and hopped out of the car.