treehouse: stenbrough

drawing to help visualize

stan's p.o.v

" what... are you doing?"

i hadn't expected my morning walk deep in the derry wood to go the way it had. i'd intended to find a quiet clearing of trees, maybe a log to sit on in the middle of it, and look up into the leaves and try to spot some birds. maybe record which ones i see in my old leather notebook, or draw little sketches of them.

however, as i entered a deep part of the woods i'd yet to explore, the quiet hum of young mc's bust a move filled my ears and my curiosity peeked. i weaved my way through the trees and foliage, looking for the source of the sound. it wasn't until i looked up a little higher, realizing the sound was coming from above, did i find its starting point.

a boom box, sitting on a wooden platform way up in an old oak tree. i frowned, stepping back to try and see more of what was on the platform. there was a boy on it who made my eyes widen and my cheeks flare up in a dark blush. he had no shirt on, sweat glistening on his scrawny and pale chest, and had his unruly dark curls held back with a red bandana. he was wearing his simple basketball shorts, and was... doing the splits

" oh- hey there!" the boy craned his neck to look at me when i asked the question, large black glasses slipping down the bridge of his nose. he promptly pushed them back up, before hopping to his feet. he walked over to the stereo and shut it off, bust a move ceasing to play. " you caught me in the middle of one of my amazing dance sessions. ain't that right billiam?" the boy called, sitting down on the edge of the wooden platform, his feet dangling above the ground. 

another boy appeared from around behind the bottom of the tree trunk. he was clutching a long oak plank to his chest, as if preparing to climb their sloppy ladder so they could add to their little treehouse at the top. i felt my heart skip a beat: the boy standing across from me was very cute. he had feathery auburn hair, that shone in the sunlight peeking through the trees above, styled in a basic boyband look. his porcelain skin was matched with striking elemard eyes. " oi! billiam!" the boy from above called, using a terrible cockney accent. 

" d-don't call m-m-me that!" the boy said, surprising me with his prominent stutter. he smiled at me, to which i awkwardly grinned. " i-i-i'm b-bill." the boy introduced, before turning away to hold the long plank of wood upwards. the boy in the tree grabbed onto it, hoisting it up onto their little platform. " and th-that's r-richie, or t-t-trashmouth t-t-tozier is what m-most p-p-people c-call him." 

" only you, billiam. most people actually appreciate my comedic genius." richie said, standing up to wipe a bead of sweat of his forehead. " it sure is a hot one today, ay billiam?" richie smirked down at the boy, and it was then that i noticed the prominent blush on bill's face. as well as the fact that he was looking right at me. i couldn't help but blush a little too.

" sh-shut it t-t-trashmouth." bill grumbled, brushing his sweaty bangs out of his eyes as he grabbed a toolbox. he began to climb their wonky ladder with one hand, his red t-shirt riding up as he did so. i was glad that richie was the one with his shirt off and not bill, for if it'd been bill, i may not have been able to look away. he grunted as he pulled himself up not their wooden platform. i took another step back to get a better look of what as up there. " w-what's y-your name?" bill asked, and it took me a second to realize the question was directed towards me.

" oh. i-i'm stanley. although only my parents call me that, almost everyone else calls me stan." i said, watching as the two boys positioned the plank of wood to start building their wall. richie then paused and got a very good look at me. i took an intimidated step backwards, not exactly sure why he was looking at me so quizzically.