study: byler

mike's p.o.v:

i hated sitting at a desk, in a stuffy library, studying dreary algebra two... when there were much more interesting things to be studying.

for instance, the boy who was studying beside me. the way his bright hazel eyes scanned the pages of formulas out in front of us, and how the sparkling green amongst the brown in his eyes became all the more visible when he finally understood a concept. how he'd purse his small pink lips, and unsuccessfully blow some of the hair out of his face, and then reach up with his eloquent hand to brush it back himself. he'd recently gotten a haircut, some of it was short at the sides and the rest stayed perked up at the top. but when he had his back hunched over the desk the way he did then, sometimes it fell forwards and into his eyes. which made it hard for him to focus.

however, little did he know focusing was a lot harder for me.

will was like the mother of all distractions. the second we had stepped into hawkins high school it had been as if the baby fat had been zapped from his body, exposing his prominent jawline and taught bone structure. over the course of our freshmen and sophomore year, he'd started taking up running too, and he'd developed a fair amount of muscle. and he was hot before all of that had happened, so just imagine him afterwards. it seemed as though the hotter he became, then more my grades dropped.

" are you even listening to me?" will suddenly spoke, making me jump in my seat before a shiver ran down my spine. his voice had gotten considerably deeper too, a certain authority and roughness then present, versus the soft-spoken and fragile voice he'd once had. i blinked a few times, realizing will was then sitting upright and looking right at me. he narrowed his eyes for a second, before they softened again and a frown settled over his defined face. " are you good?"

" w-what?" i asked, my voice cracking midway through the short word. i felt heat rush to my cheeks, when i realized how much deeper will's voice sounded then mine. he gave a low chuckle, my blush only glowing redder when his sparkling teeth were revealed in a bright smirk. he stood up, my head immediately snapping upwards to look at him. will had shot up in high school too, as he was only a few inches shorter then me when we were standing side by side. in middle school, he'd been no more then half my height. but with him standing, and me sitting, cowering, into my chair, he basically toward over me.

" i said, i saw you staring." he said lowly, an amused twinkle hidden in the hazel irises of his eyes. i felt a lump rise in my throat, and i felt the urge to stand so he'd seem less intimidating. however, i stayed seated. " you were checking me out, weren't you mike?"

" i-i was not!" i all but screeched, the skin of my ears burning by then. i felt the lump in my throat rise to nearly the size of what seemed to be a golfball, and i quickly swallowed it down. my heart was hammering in my chest, and i managed to stand up on my shaky legs. will took a step closer and i immediately stepped back, stumbling past my chair until the back of my lower thighs were pressed into the table. will grinned, waltzing right over. he leant closer to me, his bright hazel eyes not leaving mine, as i instinctively leant back. my thighs started to burn slightly, from trying to hold myself up as i bent over backwards for that boy. literally. no no no no no this isn't happening right now there's no way will could actually like m- my thoughts were interrupted when i couldn't possibly lean back anymore, and his gorgeous face got so close that i could feel his minty breath come out in small puffs on my face. his smirk softened a little, as if he could sense my fear. his eyes fluttered a few times, as he leant even closer.

" friends don't lie." he whispered, before his lips connected with mine after having been a fraction apart. it all felt so fast; i'd been planning my coming out and confession about my feelings for will for months, but i'd just never gotten around to actually doing it. but then, in a matter of thirty seconds tops, he'd gotten me leaning over a table with his warm lips on mine. i was like putty in his hands. when he removed his lips from mine, after what had felt like a split second but in reality had been many more, his eyes fluttered back open and he looked at me. a small grin crept onto his face again " but i don't know if you really want us to be just friends anymore."

the moment those words left his lips, something changed in will's eyes. doubt. worry. anxiousness. and i suddenly felt so much younger, as if were again four years old, and i'd just asked will to be my friend. the world around us seemed to stop, as i scanned four year old will's appearance. his uneasiness, his concern, his fear. i blinked. we were once again in the library, the old age of sixteen. will may have had his muscular body back, but he looked just as fearful as he'd been that day in kindergarten. and i had to assure him that it was okay.

i stood upright again, the burning in the muscles in my legs ceasing, as i wrapped an arm around will's neck. i placed my hand on the back of his neck, his hazel eyes widening, as i pulled him forwards to kiss me again. i felt his fear, as well as mine wash away, and he settled a hand on the small of my back. i smiled into the kiss.

this is way fucking better then algebra two.