candy grams: stenbrough

this took my literal months to produce and it gets progressively more and more shitty as it goes on i'm so sorry-

stan's p.o.v

the, unfortunately, familiar smell of marijuana and sweat invaded my senses as i stepped into school one suckish monday morning. i sighed and wrapped my arms around myself awkwardly, not enjoying being there whatsoever. thankfully i had mister ly first period; he was an older, kinder man, who taught spectacularly and somehow made our dull geography unit of the different types of rocks seem somewhat interesting. plus, eddie was in my class, and because we were mister ly's star pupils ( or, i liked the think that we were, at least ) he always put our seats right beside one another whenever there was a new seating plan. 

i never trusted the school's lockers ( the office had all of our lock combinations WRITTEN DOWN. anyone could have easily gotten their hands on them ) so i immediately went to class with my winter jacket and all. it was new, a long goose-down puffer that my parents had bought me for the upcoming winter season. it was mid december, and we were already knee deep in snow and could have used our nose drippings as chopsticks because of the bitter cold, so it was a very good purchase. i set my bag down on the floor, right underneath of my desk, before slipping off my jacket and laying it over the back of my seat. then, i sat down, got my appropriate books and pencils out of my bag, and waited. 

i was rearranging my things for the sixth time exactly when eddie kaspbrak came bustling in, the tips of his ears and nose as well as his round cheeks flushed from having just been outside ( i assumed ) as well as the teasing he had certainly endured on his way to class. richie tozier, trashmouth extraordinaire, insisted on walking the petite boy to class everyday. heaven knew why ( as if we didn't all know. ) " h-hey stan." eddie said, his voice shaking slightly but beginning to settle, as he set his geography notebook and pencil down whilst getting comfortable in his seat. i greeted him with a silent nod of my head, before i continued to wait. 

" good morning class! how was everyone's weekend?" mister ly asked, which caused me to immediately sit up even straighter than i already had been. my hand immediately shot into the air. i was beyond determined to score a perfect in initiative and participation when our report cards came in in february. mister ly sat down at his desk, running a hand through his thinning raven black hair as he smiled and guestered to me. " stanley. what have you got for us today?" he asked as he fixed his tie. 

" on saturday morning i woke up at promptly 6:45 in the morning, just as i always do, which i'm sure you know. after a half hour of bodily care, such as showering with warm water, washing my face with cold water a perfume free face wash, as well as slathering my face in a generous amount of sensitive skin lotion, i sat down at the chair beside my bedroom to do my daily birdwatching. i had my brown notebook on me, of course, and i had it opened to a fresh page with the date written perfectly in the top right corner: december sixteenth, 1991. i was hoping to spot a black-backed woodpecker before the bird population of maine migrates for the winter, but unfortunately, all i saw were-"

" ho ho ho! merry christmas children!" an oddly deep voice bellowed from the entrance of our cleanly little classroom. my head whipped to the side, fast enough to give me a bad case of whiplash, as i was clearly disgruntled by the disturbance. the disturbance was an older student, most likely a senior from the size of him, who was dressed as jolly old saint nick himself. my eyes immediately rolled into the back of my head, threatening to get stuck there as the student gave a forcefully deep belly laugh and came into the room. he was dragging a large red sack behind him. candy grams. fuck me.

" hold that thought stanley. it looks like santa is here to deliver some candy grams first." mister ly said with a belly laugh. the student said his little 'ho ho ho' shit again, before opening his velvet red bag. i caught a glimpse of candy canes, each with a little red bow and a little white tag, which probably had the name of whoever had sent the candy gram to them. i had never received a candy gram, nor did i want to receive one. the whole idea seemed obscure to me. besides, i didn't even like candy canes. i didn't like mint.