voice: reddie

eddie's p.o.v.

if there was one thing i couldn't stand about my new job, it was the long drive to work. upon moving the new york city to run my limousine company (it grew too large for me to manage it all the way in derry) i had discovered one of my largest personal flaws.

i was very impatient. on a good day (aka when i'd get up the crack of dawn and get dressed while trying not to pass out on the floor) i'd spend about half an hour in traffic. and not quiet traffic either: loud traffic, where you were constantly getting honked at for reasons unbeknownst to me, and angry men yelling at you from out of their windows.

and that was still a good day. one morning, for example, i was practically asleep at the wheel. rain was beating down all over my small yellow car, the drumming of heavy water starting to make the front of my skull throb. even over the deafening rain, i could still hear the shouts of road rage and blaring horns and sirens from people driving around me. it made me want to smash my head in.

i looked down at the small screen beeping and booping away on my dashboard. 8:04 am, i almost choked on my own warm spit. i'd been sitting in new york city's monotonous traffic for over two hours. i groaned loudly, my exasperated strangled noise barely audible over the beat of the rain on the metal and glass all around me. i banged my head on the steering wheel a few times, careful not to hit the horn by accident with my skull. although i'm sure my honk wouldn't have been audible over the honking and yelling that was forever going on around me.

i sighed, stepping on the pedal for a split second to drive into the inch of space that had opened up in front of me. i knew it'd be a matter of minutes before i was able to move even a fraction closer to the office again, so i slumped back in my seat. i absentmindedly ran my short fingers over the various buttons on the front of my car, the exact purpose and function of each little nub and dial of which were unbeknownst to me.

stan had given me a $100,000 check (stan was getting fucking rich off of his accounting company), as an early birthday present and also a leaving present, as i'd had to leave him and the rest of our friends behind in derry just two weeks prior. i missed them so much everyday, and since i hadn't met anyone or anyone friendly yet in new york, i had felt more lonesome then ever. with the money he'd given me i'd bought myself the yellow car, so i still wasn't familiar with everything since it was brand new.

i pressed a large black button, and there was a quiet crackle before a staticky pop song i didn't know started playing from small speakers somewhere in the little vehicle. i grunted quietly as i sat up, my legs and back cramping from having been sitting for so long, as i drove forwards another meter or two. before, again, getting stuck in traffic. the static in the song was causing my headache to worsen, so i reached over and turned a dial on the outside of the button.

the station changed, the staticky pop immediately switching for heavy metal. it was much clearer then the pop station had been, and i didn't know if that was a good thing when the screaming and beating of the drum filled my ears. i squealed, fumbling over the dashboard as i turned the dial again.

a woman's voice blared through my speakers. she had a heavy accent, i couldn't tell exactly from where though, and her voice was beyond loud and not helping my headache whatsoever. " horrible weather we're having here am i right?" she said, to which a man with just as loud and obnoxious of a voice answered. i quickly turned the dial again.

i grabbed onto my steering wheel again, slowly driving forwards as we'd finally started to move. with my eyes on the road in front of me, which was soaked in september rains, a new voice came on over the radio and my heart seemingly skipped a beat.

" boy it sure is raining hard out there today, huh folks? it's a very accurate representation of my mood." the man over the radio gave a loud sigh, and my heart fluttered against my rib cage. his voice was so... husky, yet gentle and smooth. i stopped again when the cars ahead of me came to a halt, and i turned all my attention back to the man talking over the radio.