summer: byler

will's p.o.v: 

" so i was thinking... maybe we could head to your place? maybe play d&d, you know. like when we were younger." i said, setting my blue crayon down. it was a 1985 summers day like any other: the whole party, minus dustin of course since he was still camp knowhere, just hanging around in my house. i was on my stomach, laying on top of my warm bed. the boiling summers sun crept through my bedroom window, adding to the heat in the small room. mike was sitting at my desk, the spinning chair he was at turned to face me. max and eleven were on the floor at the foot of my bed, flipping through magazines. lucas was sitting against the wall in front of the two, just talking. but i was focused on mike, awaiting his answer to my question. 

" what? why?" mike asked, setting his walkie-talkie down on my desk before turning back to me. he'd been fiddling with the dials, out of boredom i had assumed. i shrugged, shutting my sketch book that was out and open in front of me. i propped myself up on my elbows, really looking at him. he was wearing a light blue polo, tucked into navy shorts that went no lower the the very top of his knee, held together by a thin belt. his dark hair was tucked behind his ears, although if it wasn't tucked away it wouldn't really do much as it wasn't very long. his dark eyes were locked onto mine, his brows furrowed together as he presumably thought over what i had said.

" i don't know. thought it'd be fun. we haven't play in like, forever." i said, trying to recall our previous game. i had a vague memory of sneaking undetected glances over at mike from my side of the table in his basement, the d&d board set out in front of us, but nothing more. it had to have been a good eight or so months previous. i would be lying if it said i didn't dearly miss our little parties down in mike's basement, d&d board spread out in front of us and laughter filling the room. mike let out an airy chuckle, pulling me out of memory lane and bringing a confused frown to my face. was it something i said?

" yah but why? why do you want to?" he asked, an amused expression in his voice. i looked up at him, a smile playing on his lips. normally that wide smile of pearly whites would make me weak at the knees, but this time it just brought me a sense of confusion and slight embarrassment. as if i felt or said something that i shouldn't have.

" um... well because it was fun." i said, unsure of what my reasoning was supposed to be. mike chuckled again, looking at his feet whilst shaking his head. i swallowed thickly, sitting up so i could look at him better. " why? didn't you find it fun?" i asked, my voice gradually quieting throughout the short phrase. i crossed my legs under myself where i sat, and began to wonder if mike had ever even enjoyed leading us through our quests. but i believed he had, memories of his laughter and bright and genuine smiles filling my head. 

" yah i used to find it fun. when i was like twelve." he laughed, looking back up at me. his amused expression softened for a second when he looked at me, as if he had realized he'd embarrassed or upset me. but he quickly masked it, shaking his head with a blank look on his face. "we're too old now will, that game is for kids." he said, looking at my forehead i noted instead of into my eyes. 

" w-we are kids." i stated, watching him curiously. he seemed so amused, and confused. i suddenly felt like i maybe didn't know my best friend and crush as well as i thought i did. he chuckled, just shaking his head and looking down again. 

" we're sixteen will!" he exclaimed, laughing harder. i frowned, beginning to wonder if he was laughing at me. i wrapped my arms around my small waist, hugging myself as if fearing his judgement. which i honestly probably was. " dungeons and dragons is for babies. let it go." he said, shaking his head as he laughed. he picked up the walkie-talkie, still chuckling under his breath, as he returned to fiddling with the dials. i was still majorly confused though.

" i don't understand." i said, deciding to voice my confusion versus hiding it and letting it fester within. mike rolled his eyes, my heart faltering at his action. i'm probably annoying him. i thought, beginning to wish i hadn't asked such a silly thing in the first place. d&d will? seriously? what a baby game...

" we're not kids anymore!" he said, setting the walkie-talkie back down on the desk with a little too much force. " i mean what did you think?" he said, standing up then. i'd have been lying if i said i wasn't scared of him in that moment, towering over me from where i sat on the bed.             " we're just gonna sit in my basement all day? play games for the rest of our lives?" he said, scoffing. i physically flinched, quickly blinking away the tears clouding my vision. i stayed quiet, looking up at him. his eyes softened for a second, but he immediately looked away and hardened his facial features again before i could've been sure. " c'mon guys." he said, grabbing eleven's hand. their chatter stopped and eleven stood up, followed by lucas who then helped max up. " let's go to the mall, or something." he grumbled, tightly holding eleven's hand as he marched towards the door. 

" is will not coming?" i heard eleven ask as she and mike stepped out of the room. i heard mike mumble something along the lines of no or he's busy or something, but he was out of earshot by then. lucas and max followed after them, and i soon heard the sound of the front door open and slam shut. 

and at that moment, i didn't know what was worse: being completely alone in my silent house, or having mike in it with me. 

INSPIRIED BY THE TRAILER BECAUSE THAT SHIT IS AMAZING