propose: reddie & stenbrough

requested by BellaCheers777

richie's p.o.v:

i expertly rolled down my drivers seat window, the chilling winds zipping past us on the highway sending goosebumps up and down my arms. it was nearing the end of may, however at the speed we were driving at the air seemed rather cold. i shivered, quickly discarding my smoked cigarette out onto the road, before hurriedly putting my window back up.

" you're so disgusting." eddie scoffed, making me look to my right. he had his magazine, actors from a romcom he liked plastered on the front page, on his lap opened facedown to a page somewhere in the middle. he had his arms crossed over his chest, and was cocking an eyebrow at me. i chuckled quietly, turning my attention back to the road, drumming my lanky fingers on the steering wheel to the beat of elton john's rocket man.

" it was just one little cigarette butt babe, it don't matter." i said, turning off the highway when we arrived at the exit. i drove down the smooth tarmac, humming quietly to my crackly radio i had installed in my car. i snuck a glance at eddie, looking at his eyes which were rolled far back in his head, before i returned my attention to the road.

" yah, and how many people say that? if every single person on earth said that there'd be-like-six billion cigarettes on the ground." he rambled, my lips quirking upwards into a smirk. " i'm serious richie, don't use that goddamn smirk on me. you're destroying the environment. and your lungs." he said, and i saw out of the corner of my eye as he slumped back in his seat.

" okay okay, i'm sorry bubba. i'll try to quit for you." i said, looking over at him again. his lower lip was puckered out further then the top, giving his tan face a soft pout. i licked my lips tentatively, making myself look back at the road and away from his beautiful face. " and i won't litter either."

" good." he said, although there was still a hint of annoyance in his words. i didn't want him to be annoyed with me, it was our special day. his special day. i kept my left hand on the wheel, carefully setting my right on his warm thigh. i heard his breath hitch, before he slowly exhaled again.

i smiled softly as we drove, the world silent apart from elton john's soft voice filling my ears. i gently rubbed my calloused hand up and down his thigh, marvelling at how smooth his tan skin felt under my touch. i remembered every grove and dip in eddie's toned leg, and i gently danced my fingers across the bottom of his short shorts.

" why're you taking me to derry richie?" eddie asked quietly, his voice a little hoarse from my tentative touches. i slowly slid my hand back down, so it was resting casually on his lower thigh instead, as i turned off onto a smaller road. i smiled widely.

" you'll see."

the remainder of the car ride was silent, apart from elton john of course, as our childhood started to unfold in front of us. it were almost as if we were physically driving down memory lane, everywhere i looked seeming to bring forth a memory right from my puberty-induced days. memories with eddies, the love of my life.

i slowed as we drove down the main street in derry. it was late in the evening, the sun having just started to cast a warm feverish pink over our little old town, so there were few residents out and about. an elderly couple, sitting on a bench. three younger kids, crouched on the pavement and flipping pennies. an older group of teens, huddling around what must've been a younger kid, whom i could only assume was in for some trouble. just like the old days. i thought bitterly, looking away.

i ooo'd quickly when we drove slowly past the aladdin, looking at the old theatre. i had countless memories of me and eddie giggling as we stumbled outside, our arms linked. i could practically see us stumbling out of the heavy metal doors, giggling our heads off over something that happened in the romcoms he always made us go to see.