Chapter One

Wilton House, Wiltshire, April 1884

Lady Alexandra "Lexa" Herbert was in her tea hour, when her father burst into the room, and declared that he was to make an announcement to her. Of course, Lexa did not expect the worst out of his announcement, but alas, she placed her cup of tea down on the table in front of her and stood up, and marched her way into the family room, where everyone in the household awaited her. When she made her entrance, she looked to see everyone's eyes fall on her. Lexa made a confused look on her face as she sat beside her sister, Araminta, and watched as her father closed the door and cleared his throat.

"I am rather glad that you joined us, Alexandra," her father began as he sat on his armchair beside the fireplace pushing his spectacles up the bridge of his nose, "I have been meaning you see, to tell you of such great news."

"What great news are you to announce, Father?" Lexa questioned.

He took a deep breath and said, "You know my good fellow the Duke of Wellington and I are arranging for you to meet his son, Edward Wellesley, the Marquess of Douro."

"Lord Douro?" Lexa exclaimed, "Why must I meet him?"

"Because," said her dear father, "You are to marry him in a few months."

Lexa blinked a couple of times and said nothing. She could not believe what her ears were hearing. Marriage? How can this be when she hardly had her first Season? And by far the worst part of all this was that she was to marry the Marquess of Douro! He was the only son of the Duke of Wellington and his former wife, Charlotte Llewelyn. She hardly knew him to be wedded as his wife. Turning to her father, she said in a gentle yet firm tone, "I humbly refuse to accept this marriage."

"Alexandra!" her mother cried.

Lexa turned to see her mother sitting on the sofa beside her brother, Lucian, standup. "You will know your duty. You are to marry Lord Douro as part of the agreement we made with the Duke."

"Agreement?" Lexa said, "What agreement?"

Her mother glanced over to her father and said, "I believe, that you are fully inclined to tell her the entire truth, Anthony."

Her glance was met with a glare on her father's part. "I very much do not appreciate this, Amelia. Why must you always rush over our discussions?"

"Because the child does not understand she is to be a lady rather than a lovesick girl."

"I am not-," Lexa began, but her mother's glaring look silenced her. Lexa just sighed.

"My dear girl," said her father, "What your mother is saying is the truth. We are well acquainted with the Duke and it was because of our friendship that we decided to unite the two households in marriage."

Lexa gazed into her father's gentle blue eyes and sighed. Her father has always been gentle, whereas her mother has always been strict and demanding. Lexa sighed and said, "Very well if you insist that I meet him, I very much will."

Her father nodded and said, "I shall write to the Duke of your decision."

Lexa nodded and then excused herself from the presence of her parents, and left the family room entirely.

***

My dearest Alexandra,

How are you? I am quite well here in London. I really wish that you would be so incline to visit me. His Lordship is out and about on his business and to live a married life is both joyful and lonely. Miss Redford is well and very much energetic as always. Dorothea wedded not long ago while you where in America. (I have been corresponding with Amara).