Chapter Five

"(y/n), can I talk to you privately for a minute?"

"what's up?" you looked up at Jason. Right... he's super fucking tall.

"I just wanted to see if you were ok. Quince told me you had a nightmare," Jason's dark blue eyes were soft as they looked into yours.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It just seemed so real," you shivered.

"They don't last forever. Time is mostly disregarded but in general our sleeping schedules kind of align, so if you're resting later and you get scared, just knock on my door, ok? I can help you."

You smiled brightly, "Thanks, Jason. I'll keep that in mind." A part of you wanted to hug him and hold him tightly, but you stopped yourself. Suki and Jason were both really sweet. Why didn't Jenna trust these guys? Dianna and Ryo still make me nervous, but They definitely don't seem all bad. You were a little lost in thought when you realized Jason's arms were around you. It seems like you both had the same idea. You giggled and returned the gesture. His hold tightened a little and he rested his head on yours.

"I know it's really scary at first, but I promise you're not alone in this, (y/n). I'm here."

"I know. Thank you, Jason. Maybe we should head back?" you suggested as you pulled away.

"Maybe it would be better to cook something for everyone?" Jason suggested.

"Oh yeah! I haven't had breakfast!" You exclaimed. The queasiness in your stomach made much more sense now.

"What are we waiting for then?" He placed a hand on your back and led you to the kitchen, "How do you feel about waffles?" You cheered in agreement. Waffles sounded perfect right now. You forgot all about the three people you left in the room as you followed Jason to the kitchen.

"What made you like to cook?" You asked as the two of you flipped through a cookbook.

"I didn't cook as much while I was alive, to be honest, but when I got here I needed something to take my mind off of... the situation," he responded with a shrug. "I made a lot of bread."

"Can I ask a weird question?"

"If you get the flour out of the cabinet, yes," He smiled. You got the flour and the sugar for good measure. You turned around to him being much closer to you than he was just a moment ago. Your breath got caught in your throat and your cheeks flushed. "(y/n)?" He seemed to lean closer.

"Yes?"

He softly took the flour and sugar from your hands, "You had a question?" He walked away from you and continued to gather ingredients. You shook your head what was that about?

"Yeah, uh. Is any of this real?"

He looked at you for a moment, "Hm?"

"Like. This food, the beds, the cards? If I fell and scraped my knee would it be real? Is the pain real?"

"Would it matter either way?" He turned to you completely. "If you scraped your knee and it hurt you, it's real enough to you. Isn't it?"

"I suppose that's true. Are you real?" You asked, feeling a bit bold.

"Descartes would suggest that you cannot trust the existence of anything but yourself," was all he said.

"Why did he think that?"

Jason shrugged, "When I was alive, my philosophy teacher said it was because Descartes had fevers when he was young. Like, crazy high fevers that made you hallucinate. It was then that Descartes realized that he couldn't truly trust any of his senses; it could really all just be a hallucination. I don't remember everything he said, but I do remember that Descartes said that even though you can doubt literally everything you see, hear, smell, touch, or taste, you can't doubt your own existence. So, from my perspective, you could be a hallucination," He paused and smirked, "it would explain why you're so perfect."