Chapter Thirty-Seven

The House felt bigger than usual. The walls seemed to creak and groan with the weight of the structure. Part of you was put on edge by the feeling, but you could quickly calm yourself by reminding yourself that you were dead already. The house couldn't hurt you. Well—the attic could, but other than that you were pretty sure that the house wasn't going to take away your consciousness.

Maybe you just hoped it wouldn't—not yet anyway. You had been getting increasingly curious about the attic, although you were also deeply afraid of it. It was a strange feeling—the same kind you get when you're alone on a beach with an overcast sky and the ocean's waves seem to greedily call for you to swim, swim, swim deeper into the water until it swallows you completely.

But that's ludicrous. You shouldn't wade into the deep and murky waters when it's about to storm, and you shouldn't walk into an attic you know will kill you. Even if you wanted to...even if it was calling to you. You couldn't.

For now, you'd settle with talking to Don. It had truly been a while since the two of you had spoken to each other, and you didn't think waiting for him to initiate a conversation was a good idea.

You knocked on his door a few times before he answered. It was awkward. You felt pushy—but you just wanted to know if he was around...and if he wanted to hang out.

"(y/n), hey," he opened the door and looked at you. He seemed tired—well—more tired than usual.

"Hey, uh," you fell silent for a moment. Do you want to... Hang out maybe?"

"I'm actually hanging out with Dianna," he blinked. "maybe another time."

"Oh—would I be intruding?" you asked, stepping slightly forward. Hanging out with both of them wouldn't be bad.

He seemed annoyed, maybe you should let it go? "Ah, yeah, I think it'd be better to hang out later—"

"(y/n)?" Dianna's face popped out from behind Don's shoulder. "I haven't seen you in forever!" She grinned.

You smiled back as Don not-so-subtly sighed in annoyance before moving aside to let you in. You tried not to feel awful inside. Does Don really dislike you so much? Why?

"What have you been up to lately, Don?"

"Just getting some alone time in," he rolled his eyes. "What about yourself?"

"Oh, uh," you laughed nervously. "You know! Stuff. Hanging out with people." People that won't stop mackin on me.

"Not me," Dianna frowned.

"the others tend to run into me more—it's just a coincidence I promise," you tried to reassure her. You tried not to think about it, but Don was the only one left in the house that hadn't kissed you yet. Maybe that's why you wanted to spend time with him—you felt like you could trust him to not be weird.

Then again, Dianna was here. She wasn't the worst or anything, but her teeth seemed like they were sharper than everyone else's somehow. That was ridiculous, of course, but still.

"Maybe you should just spend time with me, then, since Don would rather be alone," Dianna suggested.

"Oh—no, I wanted to spend time with Don. Besides, you two were hanging out first, if anyone should leave, it's me." You felt pretty formal and stiff, honestly. Why was Don giving off such weird vibes?