Chapter Thirty-Five

Chapter Thirty-Five

            You never did find Quince, opting instead to sit and eat some food by yourself. When Ryo left, you realized you really could use a little time to yourself. You could talk to Quince later. Your brain was shooting its neurons in the most erratic ways, and the only way you could keep up was by ignoring all of it.

            It was hard to ignore, though.

            It was all too much and all too fast—Jenna's dead, why did she die? Why didn't she listen why didn't she trust Quince why didn't anyone else help me look why is everyone kind of in love with me and is it really love? Do I like any of them why not all of them? Except for Don he seems to hate me now he won't even look at me there's no way we could hold a conversation. And why? Why not? Does Quince like me? Why would he? Why am I hallucinating?

Is it all connected?

No.

There's no way it could all be connected to one source or one reason—there wasn't some main antagonist or anything. Things just happen because they happen and there wasn't always anything you could do about it. Right? Isn't that something Quince talked about...? Bad things happen for no reason sometimes.

Good people get hurt sometimes. It's nonsensical and absurd. To exist is painful and for what? What is the goal? Why should you live?

Then again, why shouldn't you? You hated thinking like this. Maybe you did need to talk to Quince to get him to make sense of all this—he was always so sweet and kind to you. And he wanted to live in a little house on a hill by a lake... Every time you thought about that conversation it brought a smile to your lips. It sounded really nice.

"I wanted to be happy to be alive, and I especially wanted to feel loved and be in love."

Yeah, who didn't? Tears filled your eyes. Why did you have to be dead? Why did Quince have to be dead?

You sighed to yourself while you brought your dishes to the sink. It was a rather strange existence you were dealing with if you were being honest with yourself.

You went to his room automatically without even thinking about the direction your feet were going. You knocked on his door a few times and waited.

            "(y/n)? How are you? Are you coming in?" Quince looked surprised when he opened the door, a smile immediately painting his features.

            "Hi, I'm alright, and yeah, if that's okay?" You said, trying to answer everything. Quince opened the door wider without hesitating and stepped aside to give you room.

            "What's up?" He asked, sitting criss-cross applesauce on his bed, leaving more than enough room for you to join him.

            You sat across from him, the mattress slightly sinking down around you. You looked at him silently first. His hair looked so soft and his eyes were so pretty, as usual. When you saw his arms, they seemed like the perfect arms to be hugged in... maybe you were feeling needy. You scolded yourself inwardly—You can't just barge into someone's room and stare at them

            "I've been thinking about something you said once," you said, surprised when your voice cracked. Shit, am I feeling an emotion or something? "About the universe being neutral and fate not existing."

            Quince's light expression turned more serious—more concerned. He spoke, "Did you?"

            "Yeah, I did," you nodded. "And I find it hard to stomach. I understand what you meant about people being hurt for no reason sometimes and we shouldn't say they deserve it."