Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

"Hey there, (y/n)," Quince called out from behind you.

"Oh!" you jolted as you turned around, "Hi, Quince." You sent a smile and a wave as you dusted your shorts off.

"No Jason?"

"Not now, no," you shook your head. "I think he might join me later, but it looks like I'll be alone again for a bit." You were too busy inspecting your clothing that you didn't notice Quince's serious expression. He took a step towards you.

"Isn't it time to let it go?" He asked. You paused and lifted your head to look at him. You couldn't analyze the expression he was displaying, but his face was devoid of his normal, soft smile. His neutral expression almost seemed angry...?

"I-I told you already," you stammered. "I just can't stop until I know. I don't want to forget about her, that would feel...wrong." He took another step closer and closed his hand around your wrist, effectively holding you from moving back further.

"(y/n)," he chanted. "You need to let her go."

"No!" you pulled at your hand.

"Please, you need to stop doing this," he pushed, stepping even closer, less than half a foot away. You furrowed your eyebrows.

"Why should I? Why does it bother you so much?" you questioned, looking up to meet his gaze.

"Please," he said softly, leaning his forehead to you. "I miss you."

You blinked in the silence, staring at him and trying to process the information.

"We have forever, Quince," you spoke after creating some distance between the two of you. You felt like something was becoming clear within you—an idea or a feeling that you could understand yourself if you tried hard enough. It wasn't the time for this. No, it's time to find Jenna, but you have an obstacle standing not a foot away from you. You felt like Quince was ultimately a piece of you and a piece of what you were trying to make sense of, as cheesy as that is, but this still just... wasn't the time. 

"We...do," he spoke reluctantly. "But that doesn't stop me from wanting to be with you now. You feel far away from me."

"I'm keeping my distance from everyone and everything until I understand. I think Jenna might've been right about some things; I want to do what she was doing, and I want to understand," you said honestly. You knew Jenna didn't trust Quince, but you still did. You wanted to find out what you were doing here, but he was a part of that, obviously.

"I don't know how else I could make it clear to you," Quince frowned, his grip tightening slightly. "We're dead, (y/n), this is where we stay for all time. There is a more dead than what we are now, but it's very unlikely that it'll happen to either of us."

"Did it happen to Jenna?" you snapped. He was silent, staring at you. He was so concerned right now. If anything in this went wrong, he'd have to start all over and he was tired of starting over. He was tired of the losing battle.

"I can't tell you that right now," he dismissed.

"Then leave me alone until you can," you said before ripping your arm away from him and leaving.

"(y/n), wait—" he called, but he didn't move to follow you. He knew you needed space, or you'd really become upset with him.

He was upset with himself. He didn't plan well enough; things were going wrong. He could feel his brain twisting in on itself like a barrel of snakes. Was it time, already? Time to hit reset, time to say hello for the first time again?