Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

You and Quince made your way back into the house. The two of you stopped in the kitchen for some food, since neither of you had eaten in a while. You were hungry. As you led Quince to the fridge to get something to eat, you realized that the room was not totally empty.

"Hello," Dianna stood from her chair and made her way to you.

"Hi, Dianna. We're just getting something to eat," You smiled as you rummaged through the drawers of the fridge. You settled on some leftover pasta dish and a salad you could share.

"(y/n), I was hoping to spend some time with you," Dianna requested. Quince took a step closer to you, and you tried not to be intimidated by the two of them. I suppose I've gotten somewhat used to Dianna, you thought.

"Maybe you can hang out with both Quince and me?" you offered. Dianna nodded at the suggestion while Quince shrugged nonchalantly.

"If that works for you then it works for me," she sent a wink your way.

"You're a little flirty, but it's sort of subtle, huh?" you pointed out bluntly. Dianna simply chuckled. It's charming, you thought with a smile. "What do you normally do, Dianna?" you asked as you munched on your salad. The stool you sat on was just tall enough that you could swing your legs contentedly.

"Me? I suppose I usually find little projects to occupy my mind. I took up sewing for a time before I realized how droll it was. Recently I've taken to studying maths. There is some comfort in the ability to find a solution and see a clear and direct answer in something," Dianna's golden eyes often wandered to the ceiling as she thought about her words, but her gaze routinely made it back to you. "Did you ever like math?"

"To be honest? Not really," you laughed between bites. "I can see how it would bring some sense of truth, though." You hadn't expected such a thoughtful response from the girl.

"I prefer to study philosophy and the human condition, myself," Quince added.

"The human condition?" You raised an eyebrow. These two are so smart in their own respective ways I'm not totally sure I can keep up...

"The human condition is something many analyze and consider from multiple points of view," Quince offered. "In short, though, it's used to consider the meaning of life or moral questions."

"You brought this up just so you could talk about it," Dianna accused with a slight frown. 

"Yeah, and?" Quince smiled smugly. "Philosophy is more fun because it can be a conversation. It's much more interesting to see how people work than to see if we can use numbers to figure out how far I can throw a paper wad."

"But in philosophy, there's rarely a direct answer. You can disprove and disagree with nearly everything because everyone has a unique perspective on life," Dianna pointed out.

"But with philosophy, more people can be included in the conversation. Even those who have never picked up a book of theory can contribute to a debate about morals. The same is not always true of math," Quince argued. You had to admit—talking about philosophy was certainly a bit more up your alley than talking about math (even though you can't say you're nearly as well-read as Quince is).

"This is a silly debate," Dianna sighed.

"That may be true," Quince smiled. "I think I'm going to spend some time in my room. You two have fun," He stood to leave. You glanced at him, He didn't stay very long. Maybe I can use this to get to know Dianna? You stood to put your plate in the sink.