Chapter Forty-one

Chapter Forty-One

            Even as you had come to accept your fate, you couldn't quell the lingering curiosity you had for the truth of the attic and of Don's whereabouts. You promised to stop looking, and you would, but you could still think about it.

            Ryo and you were walking to find Quince. Oddly, Ryo had been the one to suggest you two to go see him. In your mind, you couldn't figure out why, but Ryo knew with full clarity that if anyone could do anything about Jason it would be the weirdo in charge.

            Quince knew Ryo was on his way over, and he also knew what Jason had done. It wasn't that he didn't care, just that most of this had been part of his initial plan anyway. When he set this version up, he decided to include occupants that he knew would fall for you too fast and chase you into his arms.

            Jenna and Don were mistakes—they gave you a desire to seek answers. He had brought them along originally to just give you a few friends, but that certainly didn't work. He sighed at the thought. Hopefully, you wouldn't dwell on their disappearances for too long. He really didn't want to try again. He really wanted to just succeed this time. He wanted you to ask him to take you away.

            He wanted everyone else to die.

            Someone knocked on the door. Right on time.

            "Ryo? What brings you here?" he asked as if he didn't know.

            "Listen—something needs to be done about Jason. He's doing some seriously fucked up shit and it isn't okay," Ryo said hurriedly.

            "Come on in," Quince opened the door wider. You stopped to hug him before going all the way in, making his whole body go warm with affection.

            "Hi Quince!" He thought he was going to cry. You're so cute.

            "Hello," he smiled as you pulled away and patted your head. As the two of you turned to join Ryo further in the room, Quine smugly noted the other man's glum face. "What seems to be the issue?"

            "Jason just locked (y/n) in his room for who knows how long!" Ryo relayed fervently. It was funny, honestly, how he spoke like an angry brother desperately telling his parents what his sibling did.

            Quince feigned shock, "Are you serious?"

            "So fucking serious! We have to do something—ban him from (y/n), I don't care!"

            Quince wanted to laugh. Yeah, lock (y/n) away from the man who locked her away. Hypocrisy was Ryo's middle name in general. Quince looked to you, who brightened slightly at his eye contact. You... really liked him, you honestly did. "Is that what happened?"

            You looked to the floor. Quince noticed how some part of you seemed less upset than you should be. Had something in you cracked when you were with Jason? Did he make you more docile? You looked back at Quince, "Yes, but—well. It wasn't malicious. He was just worried. We talked about it and it's okay now. I'm not mad at him and...he's not mad at me."

            Quince sighed. He didn't have to fake his expression this time. He did want this to happen to an extent, but he didn't want you hurt. He didn't want you broken. "(y/n), could you give Ryo and I just a few minutes to talk? You can stay in here and we'll leave, or you can sit outside for a minute. Whichever you prefer."

            You pouted and Quince wanted to kiss the expression on your face. "Can I stay in here?" you requested.

            "Of course you can," he smiled. Of course, you repeated in your head. You've started to love hearing the phrase. Of course of course of course, it's so obvious that we care for each other. You almost laughed at yourself. You needed to chill. "Make yourself comfortable. We'll be right back."