Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four

Jason spent quite a bit of time with you. It started out awkwardly due to the tension surrounding the both of you after the fight he had with Suki, but eventually, everything was like normal and the both of you were laughing and talking about things. You really did like him. He was soft and funny when he wasn't angry with anyone. It felt special, somehow, a side of him that maybe was only for you.

You occasionally saw his gaze turn too tender, or how his eyes would linger on yours for just a moment too long. You were really in this mess, weren't you? Your mind hurt.

"I wish I knew how to grieve properly," you said somberly. The topic shift was random, but Jason had been expecting it.

"Odd thing for a dead person to say," Jason quipped. You said nothing but smiled tiredly at him. "But...I don't think you're doing a bad job," He said softly, seriously. "There's not really an answer anyone can give you but talking with people and being with people who care about can't be wrong." He placed a hand on yours. You stared at it and felt yourself tear up—you didn't want to cry right now, but you were probably about to.

"I just can't understand her being gone. I can't imagine just...being nothing."

"It's impossible to comprehend," Jason agreed, leaning closer. "I wish there were words I could tell you that would erase your pain, but there's nothing. This is a tragedy, and it's okay to be sad about it."

"I appreciate it," you nodded. You ended up leaning into him and giving him a hug. You were glad when he hugged you back.

"Maybe you should nap?" he suggested. You would like to nap when you thought about it, but your desire to be comforted seemed stronger. After the argument Jason had with Suki, cuddling with him might be used as ammunition in their next argument.

You shouldn't nap with Jason right now, as much as you'd like to (and you're sure he wouldn't mind it either).

"Yeah, probably," you agreed, thinking about Quince. "I think I'll do that. Thank you for spending time with me," you smiled. That seemed like the politest way to hint that he should go.

He took the hint dejectedly, "Yeah, no problem. I'm glad I got to spend time with you. Please don't hesitate to find me if you ever need anyone." You nodded at what he said and watched him leave the room. You were honestly a little surprised he didn't try to kiss you goodbye like Suki had, but you certainly weren't going to say anything about it.

After you felt like enough time had passed, you slowly exited your room to find Quince. He was a good cuddle partner. You had made it all the way down the hallway and into the next when you were pushed against a wall. Why? you groaned internally.

"Ryo?" You greeted, not surprised about the identity of the assailant at all.

He was quiet for moments, his eyes searching yours before he pulled you into a hug. Woah what the fuck? Unprompted affection? "I missed you," he mumbled into your hair.

You felt unsure when you wrapped your arms around him, patting him on the back once or twice, "I've been here the whole time..."

"I know," he squeezed tighter. "I'm a fucking idiot for not finding you sooner." You didn't know what to say. He didn't even sound like himself.

He pulled away from you, his hands still resting on your shoulders. He looked conflicted—a mirror of your own expression, you were sure. "I was...going to go find Quince," you admitted guiltily.