Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Jason took even steps toward the living room. He knew you were there. He usually knew where most people in the house would be. He was observant. Not many people in the house made Jason feel threatened. He figured that He and Ryo were on equal footing. Quince could scare Jason, but he chose not to. Suki, Don, and Jenna probably couldn't scare him if he tried.

Dianna, though. Something about her brought chills to his skin. He had lied to you about her having an unsavory past, but he honestly wouldn't be shocked to learn that it was a reality. She had an aura that made anyone want to submit. Decidedly, he had to keep her from getting attached to you. That would be absolutely no fun. He found you and Suki in the living room. You were napping like an unsuspecting kitten and she was watching old Disney cartoons. She seemed bored but content.

"I'm going to wake her up," Jason announced before walking in front of the TV.

"Are you joking?!" Suki whisper-yelled before feebly blocking you with her arms, "Let the girl sleep!"

"No," Jason stared blankly. He set a hand on your shoulder and shook gently. Suki was clearly annoyed but did nothing to stop him. As if you were an old desktop computer that was booting up for the first time in years, you woke up slowly. It took you a minute to process your surroundings.

"Oh. Hello, Jason," you managed to speak through your dried-out mouth. "What's hanging?" Despite his previous tension, he couldn't help but smile softly at you.

"I wanted to talk to you, that's all,"

"Can you do it here?" you asked, "I'm hanging out with Suki." You sat up slowly and rubbed your eyes. Sleep called to you like a siren song, and it took all of your willpower not to lean right back on Suki's soft lap and go back to sleep. Jason frowned. 

"You've spent enough time with Suki. I need to talk to you," at this, he looked to Suki. He was having some sort of weird communication via eye contact with her. After a lot of him glaring and her pouting (without you ever realizing), she sighed.

"It's ok, (y/n). Why don't we just hang out later, ok? Make Jason cook or something," she smiled at you. You cheered at the prospect of cooking with Jason again, which made both Jason and Suki smile. After you said a short farewell, Jason drug you out of the room and into the hallway.

He took you into his room and led you to one of his chairs. It was soft, but you were a little confused. Most interactions with Jason start this way, you reminded yourself. He probably just wants to hang out, nothing serious, right? "What's up?" you offered.

"I heard about what happened with Suki on Christmas," he spoke bluntly. Being reminded of the incident brought a flush to your face.

"Is that what you wanted to talk about?" you asked nervously. You hoped it wasn't. You didn't want to talk about it. Saying things out loud always made them real again. You looked at the floor.

"I just wanted to ask if you're okay," his tone softened. Jason hadn't been sure when he was going to pull this card, but Dianna had just made him nervous. He sneakily locked his door before sitting next to you. No interruptions.

"I'm okay. She apologized to me afterword, and she's been very nice and back to normal. It's totally possible that she may have misinterpreted my actions, but regardless, it's history now," you smiled sadly. You hoped that was the end of it. Jason pressed a palm to your shoulder and leaned in a little too close. He was so much taller than you that you had to look up at him. He smelled nice. You tried to shake all those thoughts from your head—what was he doing?