Chapter Thirty-Three

            Don hadn't talked to you for a few waking periods, which left you to wonder if the announcement of her death affected him more than he had let on. You cried some, or maybe a lot—it was hard to really keep track of it. Suki was in your room with you now, letting you rest in her arms while she put her fingers through your hair and talked to you about nothing in particular.

            You were thankful for her presence. It was weird how much you needed this right now, but you weren't sure how you'd ever ask for it. You were glad she just knew. You would blink slowly as her hands shuffled your hair lovingly and lulled you into a peaceful state.

            "Thank you for being with me," you mumbled softly, hoping you wouldn't have to repeat it.

            "Of course," she hummed. "I could never leave you alone." The statement itself was odd, but you felt a warmth in your chest anyway. She was being much kinder—much calmer—than you had expected from her. You had conflicted thoughts in your mind since you knew she still cared for you a great deal, but out of everyone that had forced their affections on you, she was probably the one you felt the easiest around. It was strange, in a few ways, especially considering how that first incident had been the worst (probably?). Ryo's agreement made things calm at least, but he was still so strange to be around. You were pretty chill with Jason, and while you didn't freak out about Dianna's affections so much, you still felt like you didn't understand her.

            Being around Suki was still strange, too, but she was trying. You appreciated it. "I feel so lost," you admitted out loud.

            "What do you mean?"

            "I don't know. I don't understand why Jenna has to be gone. I don't get it," you said. You were sure that you were just saying nonsense things that would be hard to respond to, but you needed it off your chest.

            Suki shifted to where she could look into your eyes, and then she began to talk, "Honestly, I don't understand either. It doesn't make sense for us to be both alive and dead and makes even less sense for an attic to be one of the ways we can really die."

            "yeah! Like, why?" you nodded, glad she understood you. Your eyebrows were probably permanently creased in concern.

            "I don't know," she frowned. Her gaze moved from your eyes to the doorway, making you turn around in curiosity. Suki's arms restricted your movement a little, but you were still able to crane your neck and see the intruder.

            "Jason," you said. It wasn't a greeting—more like a statement. An acknowledgment of his presence, maybe, but not even close to a 'hello.' It was always him, wasn't it? You barely noticed Suki's grip pulling you tighter.

            "Hey (y/n)," he smiled warmly. His voice was soft, almost as if he thought you'd shatter if he spoke any louder. "I wanted to know how you were."

            "Well as you can see, she's already with someone right now," Suki hissed. You were momentarily surprised at her angry response, but when you thought about the last interaction you remember between them—the dinner—you figured they hadn't patched things up yet. 

            Although you were definitely enjoying being with Suki—and you wanted to continue being with her—there was some draw to Jason right now. You wanted to see him. Somehow his smile had felt like the sun, and you wanted to see what made him seem so warm and welcoming right now.

            "I do see that," he said, the cheerful edge to his tone making him seem unnaturally sarcastic. "And (y/n) is capable of answering for herself."