Chapter Twenty-Eight

Two days have gone by and you hadn't seen Jenna. Every moment that passed made you more anxious. You had only slept occasionally and spent much of your time searching, but as you had feared, it was a fruitless search.

After Don had asked you if you had seen her, the two of you went to talk to Quince—it seemed like the best thing to do. He always seemed like the right person to talk to for obvious reasons, but this time he didn't say anything that helped. "I can't say much now. Try not to worry," He had said. Not helpful at all. You worried.

"You should give it a rest," Dianna called to you as you opened each door in the room she was staying in.

"I'm starting to lose hope. I can't let that happen," you shook your head.

"That's part of why you need a break. If you search nonstop, your spirit is going to dampen. Sit with me," she commanded. You found yourself seeing the logic in her words, so you sat beside her.

"I just don't know where she could have gone," you spoke. You felt like you did nothing but repeat yourself.

"I wouldn't worry. She's always been elusive," Dianna patted your shoulder comfortingly. You sent her a tired smile of your own in return.

"I can't help but worry," you replied. And I seem to be the only one who worries at all... It was true. Anyone you had told was unconcerned. Had this level of absence really been normal for them? Why wasn't your concern enough to spark theirs? You felt like you were looking more than even Don was, and he was the one who was worried first!

You sighed. "Maybe I could use a distraction," you admitted out loud. "At this point, I don't feel like I'll make any more progress."

"That's it," Dianna praised you with a smile.

"When do you think it will be long enough for her to have broken the rule?" you asked.

"What rule?"

"The seven-day rule...you can't go seven days without seeing at least two other occupants," you stated. Dianna should know what I'm talking about, you thought, remembering what Jason had said about Dianna in the past.

"I thought you needed a distraction," Dianna answered without answering. It frustrated you, but she was right. It was just hard to want to distract yourself. It felt like giving up.

You weren't giving up, though, you were just taking a break. At the end of the day, the decision to face the rest of the household was up to her. Even if you searched until the end of time, you couldn't force her to come out of hiding.

You were just worried that she wasn't hiding. You were worried that something happened, and you just didn't know what. Remembering your first encounter with Jenna, you realized she was always straight to the point. It was complicated but she wanted to make it simple. Was she right about something else being the cause of all this? Something darker...?

You couldn't think like that. She was just hiding away.

"I feel like we haven't had a lot of time together," Dianna interrupted your thoughts.

"We say that every time we hang out," you smiled teasingly. "I think we spend time together. And we have good conversations."

"That's true enough," she conceded. "Tell me what you think about all this."

"About all what?"

"About all of anything. I want to know your thoughts," she explained curtly as if it should have been obvious. Your thoughts? Instantly you thought about Jenna again, but you decided that she might not be the best topic of conversation right now.