500 Special

­500 Special

Note – this is not connected to the plot. It's a separate little one shot to say thank you for all the reads! When I hit another milestone, I may do another thing like this if you guys like it :-) enjoy!

It's not like you wanted to move out to the country, it's just kind of the way things turned out. You were pretty broke and living in a run-down apartment when you got a phone call telling you of your distant relative that had passed away. You couldn't find it in you to be sad, really. You'd never met the old man. But when you heard that he left you a house that was already paid for and a lump sum of cash to fix it up, you weren't about to say no.

"You'll call if you need any help?" Your friend, Nate, asked.

"Of course," you laughed into the phone. "I'm not entirely sure why the house was left to me anyway, but I can't complain." You pulled your car into the driveway and gravel crunched under the wheels. It was an isolated place, surrounded by trees. Part of you grimaced, this was where you might live for the rest of your life? It's a twenty-minute drive to the nearest town and the town doesn't even have a pizza place.

"You absolutely can complain!" Nate retorted through the phone. "I can't believe you're forty-five minutes away from meeee." He whined. You chuckled at him, as you imagined him pouting. The two of you had been friends for a long time, you would even consider him your best friend.

"That's not so bad, is it? Besides, once I get this place fixed up and I get a nice savings account going, I can rent this place out and run right back to the city!"

"But that'll take years. Can't you rent it out now and come back here?"

"I honestly can't," you frowned. "I have some debt to settle, and I doubt this place is in any condition to be rented out yet. I wouldn't stop you from rooming with me, though?"

"Nah, I can't leave my job. I'll absolutely visit for a weekend though! Tell me I can visit for a weekend!" He begged.

"Yes, yes of course, dummy! Now let me go, I gotta check out my new digs," You laughed before exchanging farewells and hanging up. You were lucky you got phone service out here at all.

The house was two stories, but it felt like it towered over you. The wood paneling on the outside definitely needed painting. A bit of gardening wouldn't hurt either... You had to admit, you were a little excited. It's not every day that you get to abandon your shitty job and begin renovating an old house. Thanks, Great Uncle Albert, you smiled to yourself. And thank you for choosing me over my cousins.

You wiggled the key in the lock and hit your shoulder against the door to enter the place. The door's a bit stiff, you thought to yourself as you stepped inside. The floor creaked under your feet, and the place needed major dusting. It didn't look awful, though, and a new buzz of excitement washed over you as you saw all the covered furniture. You lifted the sheet off of a couch and gasped, such a lovely antique! And in lovely condition, too! The center of the couch sagged somewhat, but it was still functional. I guess I really did luck out on this one.

To be honest, it was a strange circumstance. No one else in the family even wanted the house. According to your Father, Great-uncle Albert tried to give it away numerous times when he was still living; you wouldn't be surprised if you were the only relative left. You didn't get why though, and nobody told you why either. The place was a little creepy, but the furniture was in good condition and the water worked. Plus, electricity was pretty cheap since the whole area ran on the dam nearby.