Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Christmas eve was here! You wanted to wrap your presents personally, so you spent most of the day wrapping. In the end, you thought it was best to stay simple with gift-picking. You got everyone a book or a movie that you liked that you thought they might like. After stacking the neat boxes under the beautiful tree, you smiled and joined the others in the kitchen. They were eating the cookies from yesterday and laughing at each other. This is nice, you thought. This is happy.

The day passed on. You took a moment to yourself in your room. Being around people so much is really hard. In life, you dreamed of something like this; a house full of people you could relate to and bond with. It's still hard, though. You still feel lonely. It'll get easier. We'll all become such close friends and I'll be happy forever, you keep telling yourself. You were still sad. Tears burned in your eyes, and you missed your life. It was much harder, but at least you had a cat. At least in life, you already had people you felt close with. You decided to ignore the fact that even during life you felt this loneliness. It's almost impossible to imagine an existence without it. You want to let it go and be happy, but it's hard to convince yourself. It's overwhelming. The farther you get from childhood, the less Christmas seems to shine. You still get excited and gift-giving is exhilarating and there's still so much you love about it! But the magic of it is different. You can't escape in this fantasy like you used to.

You took a deep breath in. Nothing will change if you just sit here in your room and let your thoughts race. Christmas eve is almost over, and you want to go be with everyone else. You made your way to the living room. Inside was nearly everyone, which surprised you. The only person not present was Jenna. Strange...

"Hi (y/n)!" Suki waved you over. You smiled, she was seated on the floor across from Jason. It looked like they were sorting stockings. "Which one do you want?"

You looked at them, they were almost exactly the same. You laughed at her silliness, "I'll just take whichever one is left." You sat on your knees next to her and looked around the rest of the room. Dianna was reading a book with Quince with Don napping next to them (all of them sat on the couch). Ryo sat in one of the chairs across the room from you. He seemed to just be thinking and staring at nothing, which was a little weird. You didn't want to be caught staring, so you brought your attention back to Jason and Suki.

"Have you been good this year, (y/n)?" Jason grinned teasingly at you. Your cheeks felt a little warmer as you smiled back.

"I can't be too sure," you tilted your head, "Have you?" Neither of them expected you to tease back, and the three of you to snickered to yourselves. Quince noticed the commotion and decided to join the three of you and leave Dianna to her book.

"Hello, you three. It's almost bedtime, you know," He sat next to you on the floor.

"Bedtime? I feel like a child," you replied.

"If you're a child, does that make me your daddy?" He leaned towards you.

"No way, that's gross!" You pushed him away while laughing.

"What's so gross about fatherhood, (y/n)?" Jason pretended to be oblivious. "I didn't know you had so much disrespect for your own dad."

"Yeah! You have to be nice to your dad!" Suki joined in.

"Oh my god, guys. Stop being weird!" You laughed. "We should just go to bed so that tomorrow morning can come faster!"

"Would you like to be tucked in?" Dianna spoke from the couch.