Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

In a weird, empty sort of haze, you made your way to the living room with the television. You didn't really want to watch anything, but something about the room made you feel like it was a good place to contemplate the situation you had found yourself in. There was a part of you that felt like you needed to intervene with all the weird arguments that have been surrounding you, rather than tell yourself you're not truly involved.

Your mind rang back to Jenna's warnings back when you had shown up at this place. You wondered if she had foreseen any of this craziness, or if this was just dumb drama. It felt like dumb drama. The easiest way to deal with this would be to refuse both Jason and Suki's advances, and anyone else that confessed, but that put an ache in your heart. You were going to be here for eternity, and the idea of being without love made you sad. There wasn't a perfect solution that felt fair and right. Ideally, you would all just get along and be a happy group of people who loved each other equally, right? That's not gonna happen, you sighed pessimistically. Or at least, not for a good while.

You were so lost in your internal monologuing that you didn't notice Dianna sit beside you on the couch. She cleared her throat. You knew the polite thing to do was acknowledge her and start a conversation, but that was honestly the last thing you wanted to do. She frowned. You kept your gaze level on the wall in front of you. Your thoughts were interrupted, but you willed yourself to go back to them before you tried to talk.

"(y/n)," Dianna demanded, her tone flat.

"Yes?" you replied. Your voice was strained.

"What's bothering you?" Her gaze softened. She could see how tired you looked.

"Hmm. Well, it's nothing really," you dismissed, as you often do. The part of you that wanted to ask for help didn't usually win against the part of you that preferred to let your internal battles stay internal.

"I'm upset that you don't see me as someone to confide in," Dianna manipulated with a pout. 

"It's not like that," you frowned. There was a pause of silence, and during that time you watched as the walls began to warp inwards and towards you. Normally this would make you start screaming and shouting, but you knew now—it was just a hallucination. Your heartbeat still sped up in fear since your brain and your body didn't agree on how to feel. You looked to Dianna. The walls went back to normal.

"It feels like that," she pushed.

You sighed, "It's just dramatic bullshit. I don't think you'd really care about it, honestly. Jason and Suki aren't getting along and it's bothering me."

"If it's you, I'd care about anything," she placed a hand on your knee and smiled. She was glad you weren't hard to bend—it wasn't difficult to get you to comply with most things. But you were annoyed. The sweet words and kind gestures were getting sort of suspect now. Admittedly, you live for validation an affection, but something felt very manufactured right now. You tried to dismiss it as your bad mood, but it can be hard to convince yourself.

"I appreciate it," you spoke stiffly. You shifted away slightly.

Dianna leaned closer and used her thumb and forefinger to tilt your face towards her, "Why don't we do something together?"

You fought the urge to slap away her hand, and instead gently removed her hand with your own. "I think I need some time alone right now," you dismissed. You didn't miss Dianna's face darkening. You didn't expect her to be so short tempered, but you just couldn't have that right now. You tried again, "I know I haven't spent a lot of time with you lately, but I promise that'll change. I'm just in a weird space emotionally, and I would like to iron out the frazzles in my brain."