Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

"Did you know that even if you waste all of eternity looking for something you'll never find, you'll still be stuck in this house with the rest of us?" Quince asked with a smile that didn't reach his eyes. He had found Jenna in his room, snooping for whatever she could find, no doubt.

He had made it a habit to lock his door after the first time he had caught her, but other than that he hadn't scolded her. Now it was the second time, and he wasn't sure he could be so lenient. How did she get in there, anyway?

"I'm... sorry," was all Jenna could muster as she stared at the floor. She took risks, but she wasn't good at taking the consequences. Quince was showing just a smidgen of anger, but it still frightened her. Something about the calm demeanor was scarier than if he had cursed at her. She would've deserved it. Jenna knew that looking through other people's things was a low act, but she couldn't help but suspect him! He was in the room almost as soon as she had entered as if he had been notified.

"How did you get in here, Jenna?" Quince questioned, his smile still present.

"The door wasn't locked, so I just came in," She answered. Quince hummed at this. Did he forget to lock his door, or was she just lying? Lying would do her no favors. He accepted her excuse. In a moment, Jenna gave in to her impulse and shouted, "I don't understand what I'm doing here! What is this place, how am I dead?!"

Quince was quiet for a few moments. He looked at her, and she looked at him. It was still. They were analyzing each other as if they could somehow both get the answers they wanted by staring. Quince broke the silence, "I already told you what you're doing here and what this place is. I don't get to tell you how you died yet. It's that simple, what is the problem, Jenna?"

"The problem is that I doubt the validity of your claims," she glared. "Does anyone in this place even know how they died yet? How can I be sure that I'm really dead, and that this is really some mystical, otherworldly house that we're all stuck in forever?"

"You can doubt me all you want, but you can't change anything. Is there anything I could tell you that would really satisfy you?" Quince pointed out, his expression growing colder. Jenna was becoming a problem. Jenna's face softened. This was useless. She didn't answer and instead opted to look to the ground. Quince sighed, "Isn't this what you wanted, anyway? You hardly wanted to live."

"I wanted to rest!" She snapped, her eyes full of anger. "I can't believe you'd say that. I was at a low point in my life, but I know it was still worth living. This, though? This is shit and I don't believe you. I'll find a way out and then I'll get everyone out of here," she hissed. She didn't usually lose her composure like that.

Quince shrugged, "Ok, good luck. I have to stop you if you break rules, but other than that have a blast." He was calm. He could deal with her later. Jenna was about to turn and leave, but Quince spoke again, "And Jenna? If I ever catch you going through my things again, things will be less than great, okay?" He smiled with a tilt to his head. Jenna shuddered and quickly walked away.

"Something is definitely up with him," she thought as she ran to her room. Quince was left to his room and he took a glance around the place before locking and shutting his door. It wasn't like she would find anything incriminating before he could stop her, it was just getting on his nerves. Maybe Jenna was the reason everything was going wrong. No, he thought. It's an amalgamation of many problems building up that's make this all fucktangular.

This version of the house was a weird one. Quince has been through dozens of iterations at this point, but every one of them was still a little different.