Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Jason returned to the kitchen with a random cookbook in tow. The sound of the girls and Don laughing spilled into the hallway. He walked in to see (y/n) holding onto her sides to try and calm her laughing. He smiled, she really was something.

"I'm back! Sorry that took me so long," Jason set the cookbook on the shelf. "Would you all like to begin cutting the dough into shapes?"

"Sorry man, but that's gonna be a hard pass," Don stood up. "I think I'll go chill out with Jenna or something, you guys have fun though!" He walked out, and you pouted I'm surrounded by party poopers. Well, not really. Just Don and Ryo. You felt like you could really get along with Don eventually, though. He was funny and very chill. You could probably be Jenna's friend too if she ever decided to let go of her obsession with disproving her own death.

The three girls walked to the counter where Jason was already rolling out the dough into a sheet. You picked up a cutter that was in the shape of a snowman and waited eagerly to cut it in. Happiness rolled off you like waves and soon everyone else was just as excited. You all laughed and cut dough until there was nothing left.

"Right, I think that just takes like, eight minutes," Jason nodded to himself as he slid the baking pan into the oven.

"Have we worked out the whole Christmas Day thing with Quince?" You asked. The room sat silently for a moment. You were guessing that meant 'No.'

"I'll go find him," Dianna offered. You thanked her as she left.

"I don't want to waaait," you whined. "Do we even have to do presents? I feel like I don't know everyone well enough."

"Blasphemy!" Suki gasped. "No presents on Christmas day? Are you mad?" She spoke in an exaggerated, mocking, British accent. You and Jason laughed at her impression, but you weren't swayed.

"I seriously don't know what to get Ryo! I think he might hate me," You frowned. You didn't notice Jason stiffen. Suki surprised you both as she laughed.

"Just get him a book! Who cares! What's he gonna do? Throw it away? Even then, who cares!"

"She has a point," Jason agreed. "Since we don't all know each other too well and our resources are unlimited, I don't see why we should think too hard about it. It can be as meaningful or meaningless as you desire."

You nodded; this made some sense. Just as Jason pulled the cookies out of the oven and set them aside to cool, Quince and Dianna walked into the room "I return," Dianna smiled and posed for a moment. She's a bit silly, too, I see. But not in the way Suki and Jason are silly. It's more reserved I guess.

"You guys are serious about this," Quince took a look around the heavily decorated kitchen. His eyes lingered on you for a moment too long, but you didn't notice. You were too busy anticipating his next words. "Well, okay. I don't see why the higher ups would have a problem with it. Just give me your lists by the time we go to bed, okay?"

"I don't believe that everyone else is fully aware of 'Christmas,'" Dianna spoke. "Is there any way you can summon everyone to the kitchen?"

Quince thought for a moment, "Not really. Who's missing? Ryo, Don, and Jenna? (y/n), why don't you go find Ryo while I find Don, and Dianna you can find Jenna." You didn't want to be a nuisance but tensed a little at the idea of looking for Ryo. Dianna already agreed and went to find Jenna while Quince followed close behind. You glanced to Suki and Jason.