2.9 | friends and foes

Third person POV:

Rosalie stepped out of the fireplace with a disgruntled look at the fact that there was ashes on her skirt. She quickly brushed them off and moved forwards, weaving through the crowds.

Security was tight, understandably. With the threat of Voldemort increasing, the ministry was getting worried. Rosalie handed her wand over to one of the men standing at the entrance, and when her wand was deemed safe,she entered the atrium of the ministry. 

The grand chamber was beautiful, with a large blooming fountain in the middle. Spying the reception, Rosalie made her way over, only to be shoved roughly to the side. "Move it mudblood!" The blonde's eyes widened. It was Emma Evergreen. "Watch it, Evergreen. I may be a mudblood, but you're not of pure blood either." She shot back, brushing past her ex-friend. "Move you stupid bitch! Some of us have jobs here!" "And what is yours?" Rosalie asked, getting in line in front of Emma, who looked peeved at that very fact. "I," She began, looking very proud, "got an internship in the Department of International Magical Cooperation." Instead of looking jealous, as Emma thought she would be, Rosalie smiled. "Congratulations, Emma. I hope you find people you deem worthy somewhere."  And the blonde was called up.

Twenty minutes later, Rosalie found herself standing in line for the elevator when she heard, "Well well well. Rosie Evans." Turning around, she tried not to groan, roll her eyes and choke when she saw Nicolas Hawthorne. "I don't believe I gave your permission to use my full name, Mr Hawthorne." "So our months of dating meant nothing to you?" Rosalie scrunched her nose up. "We dated for about four months and that was like two years ago." The elevator doors dinged in and Rosalie entered with half a dozen other people. She pressed level two and stepped back, allowing an elderly woman in bright blue robes to step in and press level four. Nicolas gave her a charming smile as he stepped back, letting the doors shut in a ding. "Until we meet again, Miss Evans.

The Department of Magical Law Enforcement was a busy place, Rosalie noted as she stepped out of the elevator after a lurching ride. Men and woman in special robes rushed around, Aurors, she realised. She moved out of the way for a man rushing past her, and went towards the help desk. 

"How may I help you?" The man at the desk asked. "My name is Rosalie Evans. I'm starting as Madam Bones's assistant?" "Ah, Miss Evans. I'm glad to see you're here on time, and following the dress code." He muttered the last part indignantly, not meaning for her to hear but she did. "Come with me. My name is Mathew Grasshopper, I'm the receptionist here." Mathew continued to explain everything and point out everyone as they found their way to Madam Bones' office. 

Mathew knocked and hearing a muffled, "Enter!", opened the door, leading Rosalie in. "Madam, this is your new personal assistant. Miss Evans, this is Madam Bones." "Pleased to meet you, Madam." Rosalie added, going for polite. "Likewise, Miss Evans. Please, have a seat. That will be all, Mathew." Grasshopper nodded, and left the room, closing the door on his way out. 

"So, Miss Evans. Welcome to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement." "Thank you, Madam Bones." Rosalie replied nervously. "As my assistant, you will need to accompany me to many trials and make sure that the information is written correctly, presented correctly then filed correctly. You will also write letters and owl them, find information, write reports, are you following?" "Yes, Madam." "Perfect. Did Mathew show you your desk?" Rosalie nodded. "Good. We'll start you out with something easy then. They'll be a box of files waiting on your desk. Your job is too file them appropriately by alphabetical order. I trust you know where the filing room is?" "Yes, Madam." "Perfect, after that, I'd like you to compose a letter to the house of Black regarding their daughter's placement in Azkaban. The information will be on your desk. Is that clear?" "Crystal, Madam."

 By the end of the day, Rosalie felt dead on her feet. With a brief goodbye to Madam Bones and Mathew, she left via floo and too Potter Manor. Slipping off her shoes - because there was no way she was running down all those halls in blasted heels with aching feet - she rushed to the sitting room they were previously in. 

"Guys?" Rosalie called, entering the room and seeing them sitting around the fireplace. "Hey, Rosie. How was work?" "It was fine." She answered, dropping she shoes and bag by the floor and joining Remus on one of the many couches surrounding the roaring fire. "It was okay. How're you feeling, James?" The hazel eyed boy shrugged. His head rested on a red fluffy blanket with a wet spot on it, he had been crying. "Fine I guess." She sighed and moved to sit next to him. "Don't worry, James. Next time I see the bastard, I'll smash his face into a wall." 

Rosalie collapsed onto her bed, groaning at all the boxes sitting in a pile. She sat up, smirking as she thought, 'Why didn't I think of this sooner?" She grasped her wand and pointed it at the pile. "Diminuendo." One by one, she shrank every box until they were dollhouse-sized and then put her wand down with a satisfied smile. "Perfect."

That following weekend, after a whole week as an intern, Rosalie, along with Petunia, Vernon and Lily, gathered all her things up and set out for Diagon Alley. Her apartment was above a used bookstore named Rizzels Retired Reads. Simple, with two bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchenette and a small living room. 

Vernon and Lily managed to somehow set up her desk while Petunia and Rosalie watched with amusement as the sibling in-law's argued. "No!" "Yes!" "That does not go there!" "Yes it does!" "Oh and how would you know?!" "I work for a building company, Lily!" 

At the end of the night, when everyone left her, Rosalie sat on her couch with a book in hand, when someone unexpectedly knocked. Frowning, she set down her book and got up. She opened the door only to get the shock of her life.

Men in black robes and covered faces stood outside, wands raised, with nasty grins. "Goodbye, mudblood!" 

Death Eaters. 

Authors Note: 

whoops, my fingers slipped. my apologies. 

expect updates a bit more frequently now, seeing as I finally have a laptop :) 

-B