Mother

"Hey, Chloe" she said clearly tired. I smiled and sat next to her bed, Colby shutting the door and standing behind me. "Who is this lovely young man?" she asked, directing her attention to Colby.

"He's my boyfriend, mom"

"What's your name, honey?" she asked.

"Colby" he replied with a smile

"Nice to meet you" she gave him a nod before looking back at me. "So, boyfriend, huh?" she teased, nudging my arm.

"Yes, mom, boyfriend"

"I wonder what the boys would think of that" she referred to my three little brothers.

"Well, I don't know. I haven't seen them in so long! Have they visited?"

"Not yet but they plan to"

"How would they get here?"

"Well, I was going to ask your father"

"I thought he wasn't going to be able to make it"

"When the doctor said it was more certain I would pass away, he thought it'd be nice to visit me"

"He should anyway" I muttered.

"What was that honey?"

"Oh, nothing" I smiled and stood up, moving a little closer to her. "So, how are you feeling?"

"Better than yesterday"

"How were you feeling yesterday?"

"Terrible, absolutely terrible"

"So today you feel... Bad"

"Yes"

"Good to know"

"But it's cheered me up knowing you've got someone" she wiggled her eyebrows and looked at Colby. I heard him step forward and put a hand on my waist, I could feel his smile. "Awe, look at that" her eyes were focused on his hand.

"I don't need to look, I can feel it" I smile at her then turn to see his face - I was right, he was smiling widely.

"How long are you sticking around for?"

"Two nights" Colby answered.

"Ahh, I doubt you'll be able to see the boys but I hope you enjoy your visit now, please, go and have fun" she smiled and tried to push me away.

"I don't really want to..."

"I don't care if you don't want to leave, you're going. Bye sweetie" once again she pushed me away but this time I listened.

"OK, OK" we walked out of the room, then going to the sidewalk. We had a slow walk around Florida before heading back to the hotel and relaxing. My mind was racing as I skimmed through Instagram

What if she passes away while I'm not there?
Why aren't I there?
I should go... but mom doesn't want me to
Why doesn't mom want me to be there?
Why doesn't dad want to be there?
Has something happened between them?
Do my brothers want to be there?
Surely they'd wanna see mom and support her
What if they don't care?
What if...
Never mind, I should focus on other stuff
Like....
Oh god I could have the same illness
That means I'll die younger
Oh my god I can't tell Colby, he'd get upset
I think...
I'm sure he would...
Right?
I'm being dramatic, of course he would!
I think...
Am I just staring at a wall... yep I'm just staring at a wall

The thoughts stopped as soon as I realized I was staring into space.

"You OK?" Colby asked, my head snapped in his direction

"Yeah, why?"

"Oh my god, you're crying" he stood up and rushed over to me. "What's wrong?"

"I was just lost in though, I'm fine, really I am" I half smiled and stood up, walking to the bathroom whilst wiping the tears from my cheeks.

Once I reached the sink, I ran the water, splashing it on my face - I felt myself start to feel better already. A proper scrub and wash of hands later, I was feeling refreshed, my thoughts pushed into the back of my mind - at least for a little while.

My entrance into the main room, alerted Colby to his feet.
"What were you thinking about?"

"I told you, I'm fine" I meant to smile warmly but I knew it just looked weak and sad. He seemed to give up, seeing how hard I was trying to look OK.

"Are you sure you're OK?" he stepped closer to me, his arms extended towards me.

"As OK as I'm ever gonna be when my mom is on her literal death bed" I stepped close to him, accepting the offer of a hug. "On a lighter subject, what did you think of her today?" I hesitantly stepped back, leaving his arms barely resting on my hips.

"Well," he tightened his grip, pulling me closer, "I thought she was a very nice woman, you're definitely a reflection of her"

"So I'm not unique?" I asked, teasingly - just like all those girlfriends with the confusing thought process.

"You know what I mean" the tips of his fingers were now just touching his elbows, I was so close, and a warm smile had spread across his face.

"Of course" my good mood had returned, my smile matching his. He pressed his lips to mine for a second, completely moving away from me afterwards. I watched him sit on the chair he was on before, pulling his phone out of his pocket with a grin he was trying to hide on his face.
"Why are you about to grin?" I asked suspiciously, my eyes narrowing. My words made a smile cover his face. "What?" I really wanted to know, now. What was so funny?

"Nothing"

"No! Tell me" I moved closer, kneeling to the side of his chair, leaning my arms on his leg and looking up at his face pleadingly.

"Since when were you a puppy?"

"Since you hid information from me!" I remained completely still. I could tell he was avoiding eye contact at all costs, finally I grabbed his face and forced him to look at me. Within seconds he gave in to my innocent, sad face.

"Ok, fine" I let go and stood up, now looking down at him, "I was just thinking how similar you are to your mom, it's like you've been cloned and she's just like our friends, teasing us"

"I definitely agree with that second part. Do you really see that much of a resemblance?"

"Of course, you look like her too" I raised my eyebrows, realising something.

"Does that mean you find my mother attractive?" I tilted my head slightly.

"Now, how did you make that statement up from me saying you look like your mom?"

"It must be a talent" I shrugged then realised what he was doing. "Don't change the subject"

"No, I don't, she's your mom"

"Then you don't find me attractive?" I batted my eye lids and pouted, to which he held a laugh.

"Of course I do! How are you doing this?"

"I'm just being a girl, making issues and fights over stupid things"

"That is what my previous girlfriend was like" he nodded his head lightly. I grimaced at the mention of past relationships. "Sorry"

"No, it's OK. I'm not that kind of girlfriend, am I?" it was both a fact and a question.

"No. You're not, which I like about you. You're different" he just stared at me blankly for a few moments until I broke the silence.

"I think that you need to talk to Sam, I'm not sure if he will be able to post a video without you"

"We have a couple pre-filmed videos - we like to feel and be prepared"

"Ahh, wise" I nodded my head in approval at his work ethic.

"Just like Elton!" Colby exclaimed excitedly, the shock of the realisation on his face.

"Yes, just like Elton" we both chuckled. Maybe this Flroida trip wouldn't be quite so upsetting as I was expecting it to be.