It Was Him

I was now alone, the girls had left and Colby still hadn't come back. My mind was still racing, what was I actually going to do? I was pregnant and I felt like that meant so much more to me than it did to Colby, even though I didn't know how he was going to react. 

The door opened as Colby stepped inside. He shut it and sat beside me, smiling reassuringly. 

"You OK?" he asked. I nodded and smiled, it was half-heartedly but it was still there. 

"You sure?"

"Yes," I knew it would comfort him most if I spoke to him. My hunch was right and he smiled more.

"I'm glad. What do you want to do today?" I suddenly remembered about Suicide Bridge.

"Talk about Suicide Bridge" I replied bluntly. His face dropped. Now that I knew I was pregnant, not that I could use it as an excuse, I was more worried about him going anywhere dangerous.

"What about it" I took a deep breath and decided to be like the understanding mother rather than the protective one - after all, I needed the practice.

"I know you want to go so I'm not gonna stop you but..." I raised my finger and looked as serious as I could, "if you, specifically, get hurt in any way you aren't going back and I'll be very..." I chose my word carefully, deciding on something that would affect him. "Upset" his face immediately changed.

"You're such a good mom, geez. OK, fine" he flashed a smile so I shuffled a little closer and leaned the side of my face on his chest then wrapping my arms around his stomach. He responded by hugging me back.
"Is everything OK?" he asked, the worry was clear.

"Yes, everything is... great" even my unexpected pregnancy, I added in my head.

I stayed there for a moment until I tilted my head to see his face. He leaned down but not very far and our lips met. My arms unlatched and gripped his neck and hair. Meanwhile, his arms were pulling me closer and getting tighter. I pushed him back and went with him, feeling his smile.

It had been a few minutes when the door opened and Sam stepped inside.

"Oh, uh sorry" he mumbled as I was sitting back up.

"It's fine" Colby grumbled as he sat up himself.
"Whatcha want?" he tried to sound friendly but knew it wasn't working.

"Just wondering if you guys wanted to come downstairs for breakfast" Colby opened his mouth to reply but snapped it shut when I butted in.

"When does breakfast start?"

"I'm five minutes" I weighed the time in my head.

"Call us and we'll come down then" he nodded and left the room, shutting the door behind him.
"Have you forgotten our number one rule of lock the damn door?" I asked, turning to Colby once more.

"Momentary lapse in judgement, I thought everyone would be eating breakfast downstairs" I was considering whether to let him off or not when he smiled to himself.

"What?" I asked. His head snapped up to face me.

"I was just thinking"

"What about?" I cut my eyes at him in suspicion.

"Things" that didn't sound right... should I tell him that? Nah...

"What things are you thinking about?" he shrugged and I got suspicious again.
"No, seriously. What were you thinking about?" he opened his mouth when Sam yelled up the stairs, which he took as his escape.

"Let's go eat breakfast" he said as he quickly got up, rushing out of the room.

I mumbled a response as I followed him out into the hall. By the time I got there, he'd rushed away to the stairs. I felt the sickness again - genuine morning sickness... because I'm pregnant... I'm actually pregnant.

I threw up and quickly washed out my mouth, including flushing the toilet at least twice.

Once I'd reached the bottom of the stairs, I noticed who else was here.

It was him. It was the man who had tried to rape me. Why was he here?

I remained still, just staring at Kat until she looked over, my urgent expression forced her to run over and put her ear to my mouth.

"It was him" I whispered. She pulled away and stared at me in horror for a moment. Then she turned to look at him.

"Elton... who is this guy?" Kat asked.

"He's a friend of mine, works down by the warehouse, why?" Colby was looking at me worriedly. Flicking his gaze between the man and me.

Kat looked to Devyn so she walked over quickly. Presumably whispering the same thing I'd told Kat. Her mouth dropped open in shock.

"He'd better leave" she gritted her teeth now, glaring at him.

"Woah woah, why does he have to leave?" Elton stood ahead of him but I could still see his smirking face. Before replying, Kat looked at me for permission.

"He tried to rape Chloe yesterday" Colby looked straight at the guy with a fury and Elton moved away from him, all of them looking now.

"Wow, you're stronger than the others, you had the guts to tell someone. Nice." he smirked more.
"I'll let myself out" he walked to the door before stopping, turning and walking towards me. The girls formed a wall, which he easily broke through.
"Next time, you're gonna pay for running away" he whispered in my ear so I only I could hear.

I thought about my baby and felt that rush of energy again. I pushed him away.

"Get out or I'll kick you out" I threatened.

He raised his hands in a grinning surrender before leaving. The second the door closed, I breathed a sigh of relief and darted up the stairs as quick as possible so none of them could follow.

I knew who would, that was the person I wanted to talk to badly but also didn't, that was the person I didn't want to look down on me.

That person was called Colby.