chapter 4- Cat and Crow

Days flew by faster than they thought, soon it was the match against Nekoma, in the gym, facing each other, just before they started, everyone was excited and nervous all at the same time.

Kageyama Tobio

We stood in a row, facing our opponent, Nekoma, this pudding head guy called Kenma or something like that was their setter. He was shorter than me, and seemed less nervous and less serious.

Apparently he knew Hinata, and I couldn't help feel jealous about.

Gosh! Snap out of it. Why am I even jealous?

Hinata stood beside me and he looked so excited he looked like he was glowing. With his orange hair, he looked like a sun.

My sun...

I mentally slapped myself. Concentrate!

"THANK YOU FOR THE GAME! "

We ran into the court and took our positions. Daichi, Hinata and Tanaka at the front, Asahi, Tsukishima (Noya) and me at the back.

Kenma started serving and sent it towards Asahi. He received it, but it was still a little short.

"Sorry, it's a little short! "

"Kageyama cover! "

I ran towards the ball and caught Hinata's eye, we knew what we wanted to do. We were throwing in the freak quick.

Look for the highest point of the spike...

There!

I tossed it straight at that spot.

Perfect.

Hinata brought down his hand onto the ball and slammed it straight into nekomas court.

Everyone was shocked, except our volleyball team and our coach and teacher.

I heard nekoma's coach say, "what on earth was that?!"

We caught each other eye again and grin. It was the most comfortable we have been since that night.

"Tanaka server up! "

                       ********

We were winning at first, getting one point after the other, but somehow, they caught up.

22-24 nekoma's set point.

We observed many different things. There was the setters dump, and Kenma glancing to throw Tsukishima off... It felt like we were being watched, observed.

"Kageyama," I turned around to see Hinata, eyes shining with determination, "put the ball up for me, I promise I will make the next one count. "

It probably wasn't the best choice, considering their number 7 is catching up with Hinata but, our freak quick, I believe we could do it.

"Ok."

He smiled and returned to his position. That smile lingered in my mind for a bit. It was a rare one.

Nishinoya bumped the ball over to me. At the same time, Hinata dashed away from the blockers. I aimed and toss.

But before we knew it, Number 7 was there, blocking Hinata, and it seemed like... He has finally caught up. The ball fell into our court, and set 1 was over.

Hinata stood there on the court, panting.

I searched for words to comfort him, I didnt want him to lose hope.

I couldn't find the words, and the normal, sort of scolding words spilled out if my mouth.

"Hey! You can't afford to stand around and mope after each little screw up. We just have to take the next set!"