chapter 29- Memories

Hinata Shoyo

I had the weirdest dream. I was in a glass box in the middle of white. Then I saw Kageyama outside. He was crying out something, I couldn't hear. He stayed there the whole time, sitting there. For a long time, nothing happened. Then suddenly there was this door, I opened it and exited, and I woke up.

I rubbed my eyes to see an unfamiliar room...

I heard the beeping of a machine and looked around, realizing I was in a hospital... Why?

I could see the sky outside was slightly orange... How long was I out.

I felt something warm on my left hand... Kageyama?

I gently slapped him awake.

He woke up, yawning. He focused on me and his eyes widened.

"Hinata! "

Before I could do anything, he pulled me in a bone crushing hug. He made a weird noise, like a strangled cry of an animal. Why... Did he hug me?

"Hinata, do you need anything? Water? Do you want to drink water? "he asked, I nodded.

"Hold on, I'll go get some! " he rushed out, leaving me alone. I looked around, and I started panicking. What was my parents thinking about?

I felt like something inside me was gone, I wasn't sure what, it felt like something had disappeared. And I felt bad for some reasons, like my body and emotions knew something my mind didn't.

Kageyama came back a few minutes later with a nurse and a bottle of mineral water.

"Here. " Kageyama passed me the bottle of water. I drank some. The nurse begin checking something and asked,"are you hungry? "

Even though my mouth no longer felt like sand paper, I didnt want to speak. It was sort of weird, there wasn't a reason. It was just like that.

I shook my head.

"Alright, the doctor is not here yet, I'll come back with him later, I'll be outside if you need anything," she said before leaving.

After the nurse left, Kageyama hugged me again. I could hear the beating of his heart... Why did I find it so calming? Then I realized I had forgotten a lot of things. Like what landed me here. I knew I was once in Karasuno... But what school did I change to? What happened to me after I left Karasuno? I couldn't even remember all the names of the members of the volleyball club. And why was... Kageyama being so nice to me?

I couldn't remember the things I have forgotten. (Duh Hinata what do you think)

"Kageyama..." I started, he pulled away to listen, "why are you being so nice to me? "

He looked at me and raised an eyebrow, "what do you mean? "

I took a deep breath, "I... Don't understand why you are hugging me and all... Truth is, I've forgotten... A lot of things. "

"You've... Lost your memory? What do you remember? " he inquired, frowning.

"I... I know I was from Karasuno, I know I was from the volleyball team... But nothing else after that. " I said nervously, Kageyama looked really scary.

"Nothing? No... Plants? No cake? No photo shoot? " he asked, his voiced was laced with traces of pain and sadness.

I wanted to remember something. Anything, it seemed to matter a lot to Kageyama... And maybe to me too.

I shook my head. He slumped back into his seat and brushed his hair and seemed to be thinking.

"Kageyama, I'm sorry... I'm sorry I can't remember. " I apologized.

"It's alright... It's nothing really important anyway. " he said, I got the feeling that he was lying, just to make me feel better.

After that, neither of us said a word, it became slightly awkward. I tried to remember what happened, but I simply couldnt. I looked down at my arms and they were bandaged. Did I fall somewhere? But that wouldn't make sense... I don't think anything inside was broken... It probably just cuts... Cuts... Where would I get cuts from?

Perhaps Kageyama saw my confused faced, and said, "you got cut pretty bad, lost a lot of blood, almost died. "

"What cut me? " I asked.

He thought for a while, then answered, "better if you don't know. "

"Eh? But it's about me. " I said, I was confused, I wanted to know.

"It... It doesn't matter... All that matters is that you are safe. " he said, his eyes said a whole different story, like there was many things that were important... Not just what cut me.

That moment, my parents came in, my mother came over and hugged me tightly, Kageyama got up, said something, I wasn't sure what, to my parents and left.

For some reasons, I felt sad that he was going, but I wasn't sure why, it wasn't like we were best friend or something...

Some time later, the doctor came and checked on me, then said I would be fine and should be able to go to school next week.

My parents talked to me, asking how I was feeling and how they could help. It was funny, like they were trying to offer me emotional help, which I didn't need now. I just shook my head and said I was fine. They didn't seem to believe me, but I just smiled. I told them that I couldnt remember what happened after I left Karasuno. They looked at each other, like they were communicating silently, something like "don't tell him. " "OK. "

At night, they left me to stay by myself and it was raining heavily. I looked out of the window and it sent a sudden jolt into me. My head hurt, like it was trying to dig out information and register it. I got a small glimpse. I was sitting under a tree, it was raining, I clutched a paper tightly and my uniform were muddy and bloody. I was feeling extremely guilty, frustrated and angry at that time. Then nothing else. It made no sense. Why did I feel that way? I pulled my hair in frustration, if my mind wanted to remember something, at least remember something that made sense, or enough to make sense.

The next day I was discharged, my mother picked me up since my father had to work. I went back into my room. My room was really messy, I opened my wardrobe and there were two uniforms, black and white. Karasuno and... Aoba Johsai? Was that the school I went to? I managed to remember a few things... Like how I was bullied. I put that aside, my parents said I was going back to Karasuno tomorrow, so I shouldn't really care.