chapter 25- new school

Kageyama Tobio

Hinata started acting weird. He wouldn't make eye contact. He didn't talk, he even moved his seat away from me. I didnt understand why. Whenever I tried to talk to him, he would just ignore me or walk away.

Sometimes, he would come out of the toilet, eyes red and puffy like he had been crying.

He wasn't even concentrating during training. He looked like he was staring into space. He wore a scowl and even his hair looked much duller than before.

"Did something happen between you two? "  Sugawara asked me.

"No... At least I'm not sure, the last time I was with him he was completely fine. " I said worriedly.

"Could you find out what happened? If this keeps going on... It won't just be bad for the team, it will even cause Hinata harm. " Daichi said from behind.

"I'll try... But he won't even talk to me... "

After the training, Hinata rushed off to change clothes. Confused, I watched him go as I picked up my own clothes. I went to the toilets to see Hinata whip around the gym corner. There were tears on his cheeks. He was crying.

I decided to follow him, I suspected that he was going to do it again.

I saw him sitting down on the ground behind the gym, crying his eyes out as he brutally mutilated himself.

"Dumbass! Stop that! " I shouted, I ran over and slapped his penknife away. The cuts seemed quite deep, but it didnt seem like he hit any main artery or vein.

He saw me and his lips trembled, his eyes watered and he hastily got up and tried to run away, but before he could, I corner him to a wall and placed my hand on the wall such that he was in between my arms.

"Why are you avoiding me? What is wrong? Did I do something wrong? Please tell me I don't like it when you just ignore me like that! " I said.

He didn't talk, but instead he started crying. I sighed, "please stop hurting yourself... I told you before... Just tell me. "

I leaned in to kiss him, he stiffened and stopped crying for a while. When I pulled away, tear resumed rolling down his face. He grabbed his bag and ran off without a word. I was too stunned to do anything and when I could, he was already gone.

I sighed and picked up my bag before walking home slowly. I didnt understand why he was so upset. He was fine yesterday...

I didnt feel right. I had this odd feeling in my chest and my mind was just clouded with unanswered questions. I've never been so worried and sad for someone. I didnt know what to do. Before, he would at least talk to me but now... He is just ignoring me... Did I do something wrong?

It had been three days since Hinata was depressed and I was starting to feel it too. This heavy feeling around my chest, sleepless nights, clouded mind... I wasn't doing well either.

"Kageyama, something happened between you two, right? You look like you haven't slept for days. " Sugawara said.

"I don't know, OK? I don't know what happened. " I snapped back irritatedly.

I looked at the surprised face he showed and sighed, "sorry... I'm just a little... Confused. " I looked back at Hinata. He was just sitting in a corner, hiding his face in his arms.

"It's OK... Honestly, Hinata had been acting really oddly. He wouldn't talk to any of us. At most he would just answer questions on volleyballs and react to instructions... And he wouldn't take off his jacket. " Sugawara said, "maybe you could try to talk to him?"

"I tried. He wouldn't tell me, he wouldn't even talk to me or look at me. " I said sadly, watching Hinata.

Break was over and we continued our training.

~time skip to after training~

Hinata Shoyo

I paced back and forth, thinking how I should answer my father. He was probably waiting at the dining table. The door suddenly swung open and my mother was there.

"Hinata! "

I guess i didn't have much of a choice but to follow my original plan, just rushed into my room and hide there.

I rushed in without looking up. I heard my father stand up but I didn't wait to hear whatever he said. I locked myself in my room.

"Fine! " I heard him yell, "you are going to Aoba Johsai next week and I don't care whatever you have to say anymore. "

He stomped away and all there was was silence and my sobs.

I was probably never going to see him again. Great. Just great. I'll never get to play volleyball with Daichi and the rest again. With any luck, these few days of ignoring Kageyama he would hate me, and he won't feel hurt if I move to Aoba Johsai. Nobody disturbed me, I guess Natsu slept in my parent's room.

I stayed in my room the whole weekend like it was my prison. My mom would come out thrice a day with food for me. She tried to talk to me but I wouldn't respond and she would give up after many tries. Until Sunday, she brought me dinner with my new uniform and books.

I looked at them miserably, wishing I could just throw them out of my window and burn them into ashes.

My mother spoke, "Hinata... I'm sorry I couldn't stop your father."

I didnt respond. She sighed and got up but I thought I shouldn't just ignore her like that, she wasn't the one who forced me into this. She was the one who tried to support me.

"It's not your fault. " I said. She turned around to look at me and I started crying. I couldn't hold them back.

She sat down beside me and hugged me, saying sorry repeatedly.

Until I finally stopped crying, she said, "you'll... Be going to a new school tomorrow... I... I could write a letter and sat you weren't feeling well tomorrow, so you don't have to go. "

It sounded like a good idea, I didnt want to go to the same school as the grand king, but... I shouldn't just hide like that forever... I had to move on... Or at least, I couldn't keep making my mother worry about me.

I hesitated before saying, "it's alright... I'll go to school. "

"Your... Your father will send you there... He said he'll show you the way once, then you'll have to cycle there yourself. "

"I'm... Fine with that. "

I looked at the uniform sadly, tomorrow, I'll have to try to move on, or at least pretend to.