Goodbye // Jason Todd

Summary: Your and Jason's reactions to Roy's death.

***

"What happened?"

Your boyfriend was sitting in front of you with a face you couldn't describe. His eyes were sad and he sighed before walking inside your apartment. You never saw him in this state, not even when he had a fight with his family or a mission went wrong. This was something more. Something else.

"Jason, what happened?" You asked again, hoping to get an answer this time.

"I have to go, [Y/N]." He didn't said anything more. Jason started to collect his things and put them in a bag he bought with him.

"But why? Jason, stop!" You grabbed his hand before picking anything else. You needed an explanation for his behaviour, you could tell something was wrong.

"I really have to go. I can't stay. I can't do this to you too."

"Do what? Jason, what are you talking about? Talk to me."

He looked like he didn't know what to do. He had no idea what to pick up next, but it was obvious that Jason wanted to go as soon as possible, and you couldn't let that happen. In the state he was, something bad may happen to him. Yes, he was Red Hood and he knew how to take care of himself, but something was wrong and you could feel that in this moment, anything could break him.

"Jason, please, let's sit down for a minute." You begged him. "Just a minute then I'll help you finish." You placed your hand on his face, but he wasn't looking at you. He looked around the room and his eyes stopped on a picture with you and the Outlaws. Starfire, Roy and Jason.

It was from the time you and Jason started dating. He thought that it would be fun for you and his friends to finally meet each other. You heard a lot about them and so did they. You got out and had a few drinks and just talked about life and everything. Then you started a beautiful friendship with both of them, especially Roy who was just like a brother to you.

You grabbed Jason's hand and guided him to the couch. He sighed and brushed his hair with his hand.

"Roy died." He whispered. "He just...died." He repeated, with a cracked voice.

"Jason...How? When?"

Now everything makes sense in your head. But...how? How did it happened? Just a few days ago Roy came by to visit. You talked about how you, Jason, him and Starfire should hang out more often, he missed those times and you did to. He talked about the future and how you and Jason will have a baby and he will always take care of it.

You had no idea that when you hugged him before he left your apartment was the last time you were able to do that.

"He got shot. He's dead."

"Jason...I'm...I'm so sorry."

He put his hands around you and hugged you tight, you were almost out of breath. "I don't know what to do. He was my best friend." You never saw Jason cry before. It was breaking your heart knowing that you lost a friend, and there is a chance for you to lose the love of your life as well. Not necessary physically, but mentally.

"Everything is going to be okay." You kissed his forehead and hugged him, while his head was resting on your chest. "Jason, we'll get through this. Together. Okay?"

"Okay..." He sighed. "I miss him so much. I still call him and leave him messages even though I know he won't pick up. I know he won't answer. But I am hoping he will. Is this a bad thing?"

"No, Jason, it's alright to mourn. If calling and texting him it's what you feel you need to do, then do it. Nothing can stop you."

"He didn't deserved this. He got cleaned, he started a new life. He was finally happy. First Lian and now him?"

You understood Jason's pain even though you couldn't feel it. At least not at the magnitude he was feeling it. Yes, you missed Roy and you couldn't believe what happened to him. But his and Jason's friendship was something beyond what you are feeling. They always had each other's back and they were just..the best of friends. How could this happen? It was painful, but you had to be strong for Jason. You knew that this was just to much for him and he has to be your top priority. He has to be alright, you can't let him fall, he will never recover from this otherwise.

"How about you get some sleep? Come on, let's get to the bedroom." He nodded and followed you.

He placed his head on your chest and closed his eyes. You began to play with his hair, this relaxed him and helped him to sleep, you always did it when he had a rough time.

"Everything's going to be alright." You didn't know if you said it for Jason to hear you or you just said it to yourself. This world Jason was living was so dangerous and now you were a part of it. Who is going to die next while risking their lives to save others? One of Jason's brothers? One of the members of the Justice League? Who's going to be next? Jason...?

You had no idea how the time passed while you were thinking about how much effort and sacrifice these people like Jason, like his brothers, were making to make the world a better place. Yes, Jason had his own way of making things right, but you understood the was he was thinking. You were there for him every single time he needed support and you will always be.

Jason moved a little so you were able to get up to get a glass of water. Before you could reach the kitchen you broke down in tears. How could this happen? Why him? Jason couldn't see you like this but you needed your own time to mourn so you can be strong for him.

Your phone was on the kitchen table and caught your attention. What Jason said about calling Roy even though no one is picking up...Maybe it will help you too.

The phone wasn't ringing, it probably was destroyed or didn't have battery. But hearing Roy's voicemail telling you to leave a message after the sound felt good. You'll never hear his voice again. You still have all the videos you made together while doing silly things, Roy liked to film almost everything. "We'll enjoy these one day. We can look back and see that there will always be good times too."

But you will never hear his voice in real life. He will never come by your place to make sure you are alright, to be there if you needed him. He was gone and it was just so painful and hard to realize and to accept what is going on.

You heard his voice and now it was just quite, you were suppose to leave your message now. But what could you say? You were crying and even though you were whipping away the tears from your face it didn't helped at all, they were coming back stronger.

"I..." You began. "I will always miss you, Roy. I hope that wherever you are, you are happy. You definitely deserve it. I just want to thank you for everything and even though you'll never hear this, I will probably still call you. I don't know. I hope I will be able to. Thank you for being there for me and for being my friend. And thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for always taking care of my Jason. Your Jaybird. You always had his back and I am pretty sure he would've been dead a long time ago if it wasn't for you."

You sighed.

"I...You were a great man, Roy Harper. And even though you aren't with us anymore, I can assure you that you will always be remembered. My dear friend, I love you. One day we will meet again. It's just a matter of time. Don't forget to say hi to Lian for me. Goodbye!"