Part 17.

A/n: I'm going to try do something different just for this chapter being as I don't want to write this from Regina's or Emma's perspective, and I like the idea of being inside Mary Margaret's mind for a moment and capture her humour and embarrassment ;)

Mary Margaret:

Another day having Emma back and I already feel the progress happening. We're becoming so connected and I love it. It's the bond I'd always hoped for between mother and daughter and although it's taken a long time to get here, we finally are. Better late than never.

I mean for starters I should be vexed that she's dating my step-mother in a way, this world is so messed up that everything is now just complicated, but Regina isn't my mother, she's my best friend. Huh... never thought I'd say that. Regina and I have always been conflicted, she's always wanted my heart in her hands, she's always wanted to make me pay for my idiotic actions when I was 10, but she's strong now and she's pushed past it. I can see why Emma was so fond of her and was adamant to protect her, because Regina is changing and Emma is in love with her, whether she sees it or not.

David walks in from his busy day at work, but he returns home without Emma. Strange.

"Where's Emma?" I ask furrowing my eyebrows to my darling husband that I love so dearly and will always be my Prince Charming.

He walks behind me as I stand chopping up carrots ready for tonight's dinner. He runs his hands around my waist and rests his chin upon my shoulder from behind. He kisses my cheek as distraction and steals a cookie from beside me.

"Oi! I made those for after dinner" I snap back but he's already filling his face with the scrumptious dessert I made for our family. "Now tell me, where's Emma?"

"Well... we went to the town meeting and then she got taken from ... from Cora" he mumbles like this is all no big worry, but already my mother habits kick in as I attack him with questions.

"What! David! Where is she now? Is she okay?"  I panic, how can David sound so chilled about this? We just got our daughter back and now she's gone again.

"Relax! I'm sure she's better than okay... you see she texted me saying she's going to be with Regina for a while and she will pop round later, so I invited Regina for dinner" he explains. I nod slowly as I regain my steady heartbeat. I couldn't bare the thought of Emma going anywhere.

"Okay, and cora? Is she gone?" I ask, I still cannot become completely relaxed knowing Cora is around, nobody know what she's up to.

"I don't know, she said she'll explain everything tonight with Regina" David says moving away from my shoulder and leaning on his forearms above my kitchen counter as I continue to cook this lasagne.

"Okay" I mumble and continue to stir my mince, cooking always has been my favourite and now Emma's home its just so much better, I finally have a full family to feed. "Does this mean Regina and Emma are a ... you know... are they a thing again?"

"Together... you mean are they in a relationship?" David interrogates wondering why I don't say the word relationship or 'together' but it's hard because now Emma is old and I want her to speak to us about it so willingly, I know regina is my friend so she tells me everything anyway... but I just wish I was close to Emma the way I would have been if I taken care of her since day one.

My thoughts are interrupted as Emma barges through the door with anger.

"Well I'm sorry your majesty, I didn't have time to make sure I had a manicure, nail varnish, little trim" she sarcastically quips back at Regina who is hot on her heals. What's going on? I thought they were trying again.