Chapter 38-...

It took about five steps before Sarah started struggling in Ivy's grip. In response, Ivy tightened her grip, but when Sarah let out an involuntary yelp of pain, she released her arms reflexively. Sarah tried to take advantage of this unexpected opportunity to stumble back from Ivy, but Ivy grabbed her wrist before she could get very far.

Sarah growled and attempted to pull her hand away, "Let me go."

Ivy tightened her grip, "No."

Sarah twisted out of the grip and Ivy cursed at her lack of combat training, but to her surprise Sarah ran past Ivy into the woods. Ivy ran after her, dashing down the trail. Surely Sarah hadn't gotten to far; she was injured after all. Ivy stopped short as she found Sarah's clothes in a pile a little way off the trail.

She muttered, "What the...?"

Sarah tore through the thick underbrush. The trail she used to run with Taylor twisted wildly through the woods avoiding the thickest growths of foliage, but as a wolf it was easy to cut straight through towards Taylor's house. She didn't know why she was running there. Perhaps instinct? Perhaps the fact that her wolf had almost completely taken control after she had transformed? Sarah thought back to another similar circumstance a few months earlier when once again her wolf had stopped her from killing herself. The wolf instincts that were part of a werewolf apparently weren't connected to her normal thoughts at all. The self-preservation was much stronger. Sarah's thoughts drifted to Ivy. Why had she stopped her? Ivy hated her and rightly so. She was snapped out her thoughts sharply as a branch brushed past an open wound causing her to let out a cry of pain and stumble. She stood up ignoring the bleeding and continuing to run. Time seemed to have little meaning to Sarah has she allowed her wolf to take her through the wild undergrowth until she broke out into the clearing of Taylor's backyard. She paused and looked up at the wooden backdoor. What was she supposed to do now? Technically she was breaking the law right now. She wasn't allowed in society without Mr. Griffon.

A tawny brown wolf broke out of the woods behind Sarah, and Sarah quickly spun around growling. The tawny wolf bent its head in submission to the slightly smaller brown one facing it. Sarah relaxed, but her growling had attracted the attention of the houses' owners and as the tawny wolf heard footsteps approaching the back door it slipped back into the cover of the underbrush. The wooden door squeaked open and a disheveled man walked out. Sarah soon recognized it as Taylor's dad. He seemed very shocked to see a large bloody wolf in his back yard as he let out a shriek of terror and darted back into the house slamming the door.

Sarah mentally face-palmed of course Taylor wouldn't be home it was the middle of spring, she was in school not at home. Unlike Ivy, Taylor come home every day after school. Why did Ivy not have to stay at school wasn't there a law about that? Something about fostering friendly relations in the youth in a time of war and strife. Sarah snapped out of her thoughts at the low bark of the tawny wolf in the woods. Oh! Right! Sarah should probably leave before Taylor's dad calls animal control. She slunk back into the bushes, keeping her eyes peeled for the tawny wolf. She spotted it a little ways back into the woods. Sarah stalked the wolf through the woods until she realized they were back at her clothes and Taylor's?

Realization struck Sarah. The tawny wolf was Ivy, who had lead Sarah back here. Sarah mentally scolded herself. You idiot. How could you think you were stalking her when she was leading you allowing you to follow? Stupid. Dumb. Ivy woofed gently again to get Sarah's attention. She pointed to the clothes with her snout then turned around. Sarah understood and walked a few paces away and sitting down facing away from where Ivy was changing.