9 - The Evil That's Called Friends

Edited

THE PAST

For the second day in a row June felt someone standing close to her while she was taking books from her locker. Just like yesterday a bundle of nerves gathered in her stomach as she glanced upwards and saw who it was.

This time not Juan Carlos, but his friend. Another guy who had never spoken a single word to her. Was he also going to ask her to prom too? Was this some kind of prank? The thought that she had to have the same conversation again, made her hands clammy. Trying to swallow the nerves, she stood up. The smirk that adorned Emilio's face differed from the look Juan Carlos had when he had come to talk to her; it was bolder. It wasn't like her to turn away from someone, but she didn't know what to do with her nervousness. Looking over his shoulder she could see Juan Carlos who was putting his books in his locker. For a moment she stared at him, all words she'd heard about him today from her friends were buzzing through her head.

Suddenly Emilio laid his arm around her shoulders, silencing her thoughts immediately. "Hey June. Are you still a virgin?"

His question shocked her so deeply her books slipped out of her hands. He had never talked to her before – and now he was asking such a personal question? She felt her cheeks turn flaming red. He couldn't seriously be expecting her to answer a question like that! With wide eyes she stared at him.

His arm still rested on her shoulders. She wanted to push him away, but she couldn't move. Even breathing felt difficult.

"You know, 'cause my homie really wants to do it with you. And who knows... after prom." He wiggled his eyebrows. "But for him it's good to know if you're a virgin or not. You know, to make you feel relaxed."

"Jeez," a heated voice yelled all of a sudden. The arm was pulled of her shoulder. "Leave her alone man."

"What's your problem?" Emilio grinned. "You told me yourself you wanted to do her nice and slow, righhhhtttt."

Juan Carlos' eyes shot to her. His face was just as red as hers had to be. He didn't seem to know what to say, in the end clenching his fist and jamming into his friends arm.

"I just wanted to help you, set the mood a bit," Emilio answered with a blank face. "You know, you can use my car..."

June had the feeling her eyes were going to pop out of her head any moment. What were they talking about? What did he need a car for? Confused she looked at Juan Carlos, who still had a face like a tomato.

"I'm not going to prom with June," Juan Carlos said. "She..." He took a deep breath and looked away.

June saw the shame on his face. It was clear he felt just as uncomfortable as she did and she felt sorry for him. "I was already asked by someone else," she jumped in quickly with the first lie that came to mind.

Juan Carlos turned his face back to her, surprise written all over it. And he also looked... grateful? Yes, that had to be it.

"What?" This time it was Emilio who looked confused. "You told me..."

"I told you I asked her," he muttered. "Not that she agreed."

"Well, that would have been some pretty relevant information homes..."

Juan sent his friend a cold glare, where after he raised his hands in a gesture of surrender and walked away.

Awkwardly Juan Carlos rubbed his neck. His glance was skittish, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down as he swallowed. There wasn't much left of that confidence she had seen yesterday.