43 - Juice and Winter

Edited

THE PAST

A few weeks ago he had found himself standing in the same spot, flowers in his hands. This time he had decided to forgo the flowers. Although he knew that there was no reason to feel nervous, he was. After all, the last time he had stood in this spot things hadn't gone as he had hoped; there was no way he could have predicted her anger to be so consuming.

After he had rang the doorbell, he realized that he was holding his breath. Only when she opened the door and he saw her shining, happy eyes, did he dare to release the oxygen he was so desperately holding onto. This time she was definitely happy to see him.

"Hey," he said a little awkwardly. Hesitating, he pulled her into a hug and gave her a quick kiss. It had been a few days since they had seen each other. While they had been apart they had exchanged some texts, but it wasn't the same.

Behind June, his eye caught a glimpse of a movement. One of her little sisters was peeking around the door frame, but quickly pulled back when she noticed that he was looking at her. He chuckled quietly.

"I thought uh, maybe I could get introduced to your mom before we leave? I mean, like before I pick up her daughter?"

Meeting her mom might have been his biggest worry for the day. Jordy had told him that June's mother already liked him, but he was scared as hell that when she met him in real life he would disappoint her.

A blush spread across her cheeks, causing a knot to form in his stomach. Was she also afraid that her mom wouldn't be impressed by him? Still she nodded and he stepped further into the hallway.

The knot loosened a little as June took his hand and led him to the living room. Two identical girls sat on the couch, watching him with curious eyes. He showed them a shaky smile before he turned his attention to the woman who was lying on the bed, resting against a pile of pillows.

Juan swallowed. She looked as pale as the blanket draped across her. She looked so fragile, so... sick. Her thin lips however bent into a loving smile as their eyes met, her eyes sparkling with motherly love.

"Hello Juan Carlos," she said in a weak, hoarse voice. "I'm so glad to finally meet you."

With June's hand encased in his, he walked towards the bed. The woman sat up a little straighter and laid a hand against his jaw, pressing a kiss to his cheek.

"Hi," he said a little awkwardly. His cheek felt hot – his own mother had never given him such a gentle gesture. It was unfair that the life of this loving woman was being cut short. "I uh, well, I'm Juan Carlos. June's boyfriend. Uhm, if you're okay with that, I mean..." he floundered.

"I am." She moved her hand to their laced fingers and smiled. "I am truly happy for the two of you. I think, given the chance you will learn to love each other deeply."

Juan's eyes shot to June's and he expected their cheeks were the same shade of red. On a whim he kissed her cheek, like he always wanted to do when she was blushing. After that, he looked at her mother shyly.

"Now enjoy your day, sweethearts," she smiled. "Would you like to join us for dinner, Juan? The twins make the best lasagne you can think of."

"Um..." He looked at June, who shrugged. "Okay. I'd love to."

"Excellent." She offered them another tired smile and sunk back in the pillows. Her red curls gleamed in the sunbeams falling through the window, making her look younger than she was.

As she closed her eyes, June softly pulled him towards the door. Before they went outside, he introduced himself to June's sisters, who looked just as timid as June herself. He had the feeling that fights were very rare in this household – this family was in sharp contrast with his own family, despite the fact that they both lacked a father figure in their lives.