87 - Intoxicated

THE PAST

June tried to be happy for her friend, she really did. She however believed Jordy could get much better than Emilio. She hadn't forgiven him for what he had done to Erik — not for a bit. She'd promised Erik not to tell anyone, but it was hard. Emilio had shown some cross-border behavior before, but in her eyes this had been a serious offence and it didn't sit right with her that Jordy was oblivious to this dark side of him. Although she doubted knowing truth would really change Jordy's opinion about Emilio, for she clearly saw him through rose-colored glasses. Also, better than anyone did June know how it felt when your friend wasn't supporting your relationship, and the last thing she wanted was following in Beth's footsteps. 

Jordy's relationship with Emilio however made her spent even more time with the boy. Not only during school; now it was weekend, Jordy invited Juan and her over to hang out at her place. June felt a little guilty because she'd tried to come up with excuses to decline Jordy's invitation to watch a movie. The twins however were at home and her mother needed no extra help, and so, she had eventually agreed to come while she was trying not to show Juan how reluctant she felt. Juan liked to hang out together. He was happy his friend was finally in a relationship, convinced that Jordy could only have positive influence on him. June decided to keep her thoughts to herself; she knew how important his friendship with Emilio was. 

By now, June had been so many times at Jordy's place that she came around the back, using the spare key that was was hidden under the same stone for years. As always, the large house felt empty. Actually, June couldn't even remember the last time she'd seen Jordy's parents. The thought that her friend was so often alone, made her sad, and so she told herself once more that it was for the best that she was having a boyfriend now — even when Emilio was that boyfriend. 

June and Juan hanged up their coats in the pantry. The last time the both of them had been inside the house, was during Jordy's pool party when they had been in a fight because Juan had tried to make her jealous by flirting with some other girl. The knowledge that Erik had been the reason for his behavior while they now knew he was gay, made it even more ridiculous. 

They had been in quite some fights, June thought as she looked back to the past months. Nevertheless, the warm feeling in her chest hadn't left; now Juan's fingers were lacing with hers, she still felt butterflies. 

They entered the door to the living room, where the other couple was sitting on the couch. A bit awkwardly June looked away; Jordy was on Emilio's lap and they were kissing quite passionately, whereby Emilio's hand had disappeared below Jordy's dress. Uncomfortably, she stared at her shoes. 

"Hey, knock it off," Juan said, although his tone told her he was smirking. 

"We thought it'be good to get you in the right mood, y'know?" 

The right mood? For what? 

"We don't need your help with that." Juan squeezed her hand. 

Emilio snorted, but instead of making a comment, he cried out in pain. As she looked up, she saw him rubbing his ribs while he was glaring at his girlfriend. 

"June and I will pick the first movie. Go get us something to drink," Jordy said, pushing Emilio off the couch. 

Juan decided to help his friend and June walked over to Jordy, who was standing in front of the dvd rack. They had watched a movie so many times that June believed she knew what movies were in it by heart, but she said nothing. 

"What do you think?" Jordy asked. "Something romantic? 10 Things I Hate About You is still my favorite."

June got it. Just like Grease had always reminded her of her own situation with Juan, Jordy recognized her own parallels with this movie.