31 - Over

Edited 

THE PAST

Nervously, Juan focused on the entrance, it had been a while since Iris had left and Beth was just on her way out as well but June didn't follow behind her. Did something go wrong?

As soon as Beth disappeared from sight, he left the car. His mouth felt dry, he had no idea why he suddenly felt so nervous. Slowly he let the door close behind him as he entered the coffee shop. He spotted her instantly. She was sitting at one of the farthest tables; her elbows leaning on the table and her face hidden behind her hands. Her shoulders were shaking. Juan quickened his pace, his heart squeezing tighter in his chest with every step he took. Seeing her cry... that was the last thing he had wanted from today.

Once he reached the table, he knelt beside her and laid a hand on her knee.

"Baby... what happened?" He had wanted to sound calm, but his voice was shaking, his nervousness clearly showing. Maybe it wasn't the best time to use a nickname, what if she took it the wrong way?

She looked to the side, her eyes filled with tears. Juan stood up again, holding out his arm. For a few seconds she stared at him, hesitating; then she stood up and grasped him firmly. As she buried her face against his chest, he dipped his head to kiss her hair, his arms tightening around her.

He liked the feeling of her in his arms so much that he felt a little guilty. Now her scent was surrounding him as he held her in the intimate embrace, nothing else seemed to matter. June's sniffing however quickly brought him back to the delicate situation. He glanced around, noticing that various people were looking at them. When the waitress approached to put a glass of water on the table, he leaned towards her and asked for the bill.

When the receipt was handed to him, he reached for his wallet. With his hands on her back he took the money out and laid it on the table.

Brushing his hand across the back of her head, he coaxed her face upwards. Quietly he said her name so she looked up, as her eyes locked on his, he used his thumb and brushed her tears away.

"Take a few sips and then we go, okay? Then we'll find a quiet place where you can tell me what happened."

Her bottom lip was trembling as she nodded. The look in her eyes was skittish and he wondered what the hell Beth had said to her.

On their way outside his hand slipped into hers. He squeezed, but she didn't return the gesture. Worried, he looked at her from of the corner of his eyes. Her cheeks were pale and her gaze was focused on the ground.

They didn't speak as they left the crowded street. Juan knew of a playground not far from where they were so he steered them in that direction. He sat down on a swing once they arrived, pulling her sideways across his lap. With one hand he held her waist, with the other he rubbed her back.

For a while he waited hoping that she would talk, but when she didn't he tried to figure out what had happened. "What did Iris tell you?"

Although he trusted his brother, a part of him was still afraid that he was being too naïve. The question however seemed to help June put her thoughts in order. She snuggled into him, her thumb absently stroking his knuckles.

"She told us that Katie had fallen for Mateo. That she had been warned that he only wanted her for the sex but she didn't listen. She wanted more from him, but he only wanted to have some fun, and then in the end when she got pregnant, he dumped her. She was so embarrassed and desperate, so she tried to cover up what had happened and started to spread lies about Mateo."