Lonely Christmas - Reece

The tree is twinkling with tinsel and ornaments of all sorts. There's one that looks like Lily your dog and a few Disney ones along with a few yours and Reece's families had given to you as keepsakes. It's your first Christmas living with Reece and tree decorating was incredible. It consisted of laughing, Reece mostly just handing you ornaments claiming that you arrange them better, and then making hot chocolate for the both of you to sip on as he made a fire.

The tree is kind of like everything you should be experiencing but as Reece's life would have it, he had a prior commitment which left him in the states and to catch an early flight on Christmas Eve. The time was ticking down from when you were going to be able to pick him up and your heart immediately jumped and a smile spread across your face as your phone started going off, a Facetime call from Reece.

"Hey, babe." Reece says, a gentle smile on his face.

"Hey!" You chime, your smile much wider than his as you take in the background. "Have you already landed? Your flight isn't supposed to be in for another two hours." Excitement flooded through you at the thought of having Reece home two hours earlier.

It doesn't seem like a big deal. It's only two hours but that's two hours the two of you could be spending in front of a fire with Home Alone playing. It's still two hours you could be spending on Christmas Eve together.

Reece lets out a soft sigh and he gives you a sad smile, shaking his head slightly, the grey beanie he's wearing preventing his hair from falling over his forehead. "I'm so sorry, love."

Your brows furrow as you take in his words and the sadness coming over his face. "You're not gonna make it, are you?" You ask, your words broken.

Reece shakes his head. "There's a snowstorm, all flights are delayed until the mornin'."

"You're gonna miss Christmas." Your heart breaks as you realize that if he doesn't get on a flight tonight, your first Christmas together will have to wait until next year.

"Yeah." Reece says and it's the saddest expression you've ever seen. "Looks that way."

You can feel a lump forming in your throat as you look down to Lily who's asleep on your lap. You pet her head and around her ears, trying to not let yourself cry. It's not Reece's fault. This is just part of mother nature. No one controls the weather and it snows this time of year. It happens and sometimes, flights have to be delayed but it hurts. You were looking forward to it. You were supposed to wake up together, in bed, Lily at your feet and it was supposed to be sweet and soft with gentle 'good morning' and 'merry Christmas' kisses. You were going to get cups of coffee in your matching mugs Reece's mom had gotten you both and you were going to open presents. Reece was supposed to open a new watch you'd gotten engraved for him. It was special and the snow has seemed to ruin what should be your favorite Christmas. It's just a bit soul-crushing.

"I'm so sorry." Reece whispers and you can hear him trying not to cry. "I've been trying to find other flights-"

"No" You say quickly looking back to the screen. "If it's dangerous, you should stay. It sucks but..." You trail off with the shrug of one of your shoulders.

Reece smirks with just the corner of his mouth. "I'm still gonna try, love."

You nod softly. "Okay." You whisper, swallowing the lump in your throat.

"If I can't make it, we'll have our own Christmas the next day, ya? Just you and me, all day. I'll have mum save us some food." Reece chuckles, his eyes crinkling at the ends and that's why you love him.

"Leftovers for our Christmas." You mock, unable to remain completely sad with the light laugh of Reece.

"It's very us, don't you agree?" Reece continues to laugh.