10. The Fear Inside

Shivaay finished his cooking.

"All done... I will go and call Annika"

As soon as he started moving to their room,the power went off.

"Ye lights kaise chala gaya? KHANNAA"

"Sir"

"What happened to the lights?"

"Pata nahi Sir,I will go and check"

"Then why are you standing here,just go and check"

Suddenly the realisation struck him

"Annika...Oh shit...she is scared of darkness...how did I forget that"

He rushed out of the kitchen,he bumped onto many things due  to the darkness. He reached their room.

"Annikaa...??Annika....am here....kaha ho thum??Don't get scared ....am here...just give me a sound....Annikaa??"

He searched the whole room like an insane person but Annika was not found.

His footsteps stopped when he heard the sound of running water from the washroom. He knocked the washroom door but got no response.

"Annika..This is me Shivaay...Please open the door....Am here Annika...darwaza kholo"

**************

Annika got into the washroom to freshen up ,she put her clothes on the stand and at the next moment the power went off. There wasn't a single source of light even her companion moon betrayed her today. She needed the light. The closed room moreover darkness she went numb,she felt the darkness will soon swallow her. This feeling never happened in these few months. She tried to call Shivaay but she felt mute. Her past knocked  in and flashed infront of her eyes. Her tortured childhood,her chutki,she could clearly see those images infront of her.

The people in the orphanage were nasty,they would just start picking on her for little things,or even nothing. They didn't give the children a small consideration especially Annika. Even today she don't know the reason why she was the one who was tortured the most. She'd get thrown against the wall,they used to shut her in the dark room beat her,throttle her. They once held her head under the water and tried to choke her. The torture would usually start with their yelling and she would normally try to escape but what can a child of seven years or a bit elder can do,they were stronger than her.

Like every other orphanage it too had a set of rules,at certain time if she missed her food slot she was forced to starve.

Every thing were flashing in front of her. She tried to fight away those thoughts but she was failing miserably in that. Her mind went numb. She looked at the door and felt  the door was too far away from her. Her heartbeat quickened,her heart was pounding,her breaths were shallow,rapid gasps. She was trying to make some noise. She could hear Shivaay's noise from the room but she couldn't respond. She tried to rush out but tripped and fell hard. She tried to get up with the help of shower handle but that too failed instead the water broke,she was drenched and fell hard. She tried to crawl but that too didn't help. She was sweating under the shower. Holding her hands to her ears she cocooned herself and sat under the shower.

******************

Shivaay was knocking and shouting hard at the door. Only source of light was the one which was emitting from his phone. He kicked the door hard,pushed,pulled and screamed her name,but the door wouldn't open and the scary part was there was no response from his Annika. He had to get her now,she needed him the most,taking those thoughts as his strength he tried hard ,with a cry he kicked the door open.

The image in front startled him. His Annika was drenched under the shower cocooning herself ,she was shivering and sobbing. He never ever witnessed her like this in these recent days. He ran towards her,closed the shower and embraced her in his arms,peppering kisses on her head he tried to calm her.

She was relieved to fin him in front of her. Nothing came from her mouth other than some broken words.

"Shivaay......andhera...mujhe bahuth darr lagra hai...please bacha ..lijiye"

"Annika,am here nothing will happen to  you"

"Shivaay...wo...wo log mujhe mardengi Shivaay..please...Shivaay...."

'"Annika..yaha koi nahi hai...am here now"

He tried calming her. He took her in his arms and headed towards their bedroom and placed her in the bed but she was still clutching onto him like her life was depended on her.He too didn't leave her.

"Annika you need  to change the dress otherwise you will fall ill, I will take your clothes and come" said Shivaay by soothing her hair

"No...no ....no Shivaay...please don't leave me alone" her hold on him tightened more.

"Ok,ok..Annika...calm down....am not going anywhere.." he said whille placing a kiss on her hair

Slowly she drifted off to sleep and soon the power too came back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annika's fear of darkness was such a strong subject to explore,how she overcomes that fear and how Shivaay supports her,being her sooraj. Alas we never got that.

I tried my best to portray both their emotions and I believe I somewhat did justice to this plot. Waiting to hear your response. Comments,Suggestions,Criticisms all welcome