Chapter Thirteen: It's Not A Date

Liv

Tuesday

January 15, 2019

16: 32 pm (4:32 pm)

It was a breezy afternoon. Partly cloudy skies...mostly cloudy skies. Dark grey puffy clouds cascading the sky, almost completely covering the blue spaces. They reminded me of the kind clouds you see in the Fall. The kind of clouds that remind you...it's chilly outside. And I don't know why I cared to notice this now. Maybe because I was currently on my way to meet Noah at a cafe.

Something that somehow felt like it was in direct violation of the "Girl Code". Meeting up with my friend's ex without her knowing. Hmmm. Then again, he's not really her ex. She didn't date him. He was never her boyfriend.

It was this hard line between being sympathetic towards Engel for getting her heart broken by Noah the way she did. But at the same time, knowing she should've never gotten her hopes up the way she did. That she romanticized the whole situation to be more than it was ever going to be.

Like I hate the way Noah hurt her...but I know she shouldn't have gotten carried away with the possibility of being with him.

Was there something wrong with me? A week ago, I would've been completely on Engel's side...like I had been. But the more I've thought about...him...and everything. He's not right. He's definitely not. But she isn't either. Neither of them are.

Ugh.

What a thing to think about before meeting him.

The girls knew I had my showcase meeting today. They just didn't know I had been paired with Noah to do it. And I didn't have the nerve to tell them. This whole assignment was really going to be cutting into my time with them. I'd have to really squeeze in seeing them at school, or something...or I'll barely see them for this entire month.

I sighed.

I was here.

Hofman Café.

I took a deep breath and stepped inside. I sort of hoped he'd be late, or maybe even bail on the whole plan. I sort of hoped, I wouldn't have to sit there in a booth and be forced to keep eye contact with him. Maybe he could be sick today. Maybe he just wouldn't show up at all.

Maybe I was being childish.

He was just a boy.

Just a boy.

But he was there. If anything I was the late one, there he was...on fucking time.

I sighed again. I'd been doing that a lot lately.

Once I reached the booth he was in, I sat down across from him. He was peacefully sitting there, with a mug of tea. His eyes lighting up as he noticed it was me.

"You actually came" he spoke softly, almost as if that comment was meant to be said in his head of something. A small smile creeping up on his lips.

"Don't be sound surprised," I lightly smirked, looking around the seemingly empty café. Only about 5 other people were in here today. And luckily none of those people were Engel.