Epilogue Part One: Summer Edges

Noah

Friday

July, 12th, 2019

Venice, Italy

12:18 pm

Laying on my side, comfortably in bed, with her head resting lightly on my arm as I gently twirled some of her soft curls around my fingers. Simply gazing over at her, she looked so cute while she slept, like an absolute angel. I was completely captivated, she looked so peaceful.

I didn't want to move, I didn't want to wake to her. She couldn't sleep last night, she kept tossing and turning. And I couldn't help but wonder if it was because of Calder.

In April she testified against him in court, I was there, she looked him boldface in the eye. Staring him down unfazed as she told the judge, jury and everyone in the court what happened...the vile thing he tried to do.

And while she seemed so very calm and in control, at the end of that day, she just wanted to curl up into bed with me. I knew this was hard, I understood the fact that this whole situation was going to take time to properly heal. I didn't want to rush her...or dismiss her feelings. I just wanted to be there for her. No matter how long it takes.

Early last month, his sentence was officially passed. He played the sympathy card, using his lack of mental stability and jaded upbringing as a way to con the jury. Getting his sentence lowered from 8 years to 5 years, maybe even less on good behaviour.

She's been a bit off since then. Even though we won our case, even though she succeeded in getting him behind bars...I could see how it didn't entirely feel like a victory.

He still manipulated his way into a lower sentence...and if he could do that...he could manipulate his way out faster as well.

It bothered me.

And it also scared her.

I knew it did.

I knew she didn't want it to...I knew she didn't want me to notice.