Book Six Chapter Twenty-Eight

7 THE HAUNTING TRUTH

ALENA!!!

I stay sitting staring at Jackson, his words hurting me, he read the same papers Marcus signed, he considered leaving me? I feel sick, I was angry with myself for not fighting for him still, and he knew all along he considered walking and leaving me to believe he was dead?

"You're an arsehole" They both turn to stare at me shocked.

"I hated myself for not fighting for you, I apologised and everything while you knew all along you had considered signing away your life, leaving me to think you were dead" 

I want to hit him, physically hurt him right now.

"No, both of you sit down and listen" I look at him and see Marcus sitting down, I sit down the tears building in my eyes, he was going to leave me and the twins.

"After they found me, I met Peter, he spoke to me and told me that you had moved on, he told me you had found someone new, and the kids had a new dad" 

I don't see how that is a good enough excuse, to be honest.

"I still wasn't sure, he handed me the papers, a lot of papers ones to sign saying I would not sue and everything else if they ensured when Max was found he would get a longer sentence. 

That was when he handed me those papers, I read them of course I did. No that does not mean I considered actually leaving you, Alena." I look up at him still unsure.

"Why would you even read it, Jackson, why? If that were me, I wouldn't even consider reading it the answer would be no. Just because he said, I had someone else and had moved on you just had to consider it didn't you."

"No Alena, you have it all wrong, for a start, he said all that after I refused and read the contract, I did what most would do in my situation, read it because that contract is only ever handed up over you are playing dead. Hardly anyone gets to see it in their lifetime, so of course, I read it" I don't know what to think, I look at Marcus, and he is just sat staring at him.

"Look, at no point did I think is there any point going back, my thoughts were on you and the twins only. I had to sign all the papers before I could come home, which I did. After I read and refused to sign that one, he told me you had moved on, that the twins had a new dad, it didn't make me consider staying though."

"Sorry" I look at him, I overreacted not giving him a chance to explain and just assumed like I always do.

"Right, so why not just tell me, Jackson?" Marcus looks at him confused.

"Because, I could see you were fooled by him otherwise you wouldn't have signed it in the first place, to show you he uses tricks to get you back in. Just like he uses your personal circumstances to make you think you have nothing left" 

Jackson looks at me, and I feel awful.

"Yeah okay, he got me by talking about Alena and everything, saying I had no one left, but the main point was that Roxy and Jake would get longer. After he told me I had a way out, he then tried again bringing up Alena and MJ. He told me to think about it, and I left driving here, yes on the way I listened to his voice, but I came back in the end." I look at them both shocked.

"You two are as bad as each other, rather than listening to what someone else says about how I feel come to ask me. Had you thought of that Marcus the first time I would have told you I would rather Roxy and Jake walk free then never see you again."