Reequipping the army

Georgy and Moss were having a brainstorming session as they normally do every other week. And as it normally does, it involves whiskey.

Georgy: I'm tired of my soldiers lacking the necessary individual firepower and armor that is needed of a modern army.

Moss: I also noticed that. It would be changed if it wasn't for the military doctrine of the army.

Georgy: Right, It dictates massed infantry assaults in the hope that some of them will make it to their target. Why hasn't it been changed yet then?

Moss: Just like most of the reasons in the Imperium, Goddamn red tape.

Georgy: It's always the admin bastards.

Moss: You know, we could just re fit the troops and that might encourage them to change the doctrine.

Georgy: But the results would have to be truly massive, either being cheaper or way more effective.

Moss: We could just keep the doctrine and still reequip the soldiers.

Georgy: Good enough, let's go with that.

AN: I'd like to point out that the quote "Good enough, let's go with that" basically sums up Imperial doctrine for the standard infantryman. Unlike all the other groups like Grenadiers, Naval infantry, Guards, and Honor guards (referring to both elite and non elite variants of specialized troops) are only equipped with the basic tools of the trade. They are intended to be used in massive groups and thrown at the enemy in the name of the emperor with the thought that they can't all die and that some would make contact with the enemy. But if you remember back to some of the previous chapters the standard Imperial infantryman is woefully under equipped. They still use bolt action rifles and they don't have any body armor. So the worry about them taking a high amount of casualties is justified.
Also the reason why there are so many variants of specialized troops is due to the fact that huntsmen are no longer used by the empire. Imperial rangers take that responsibility now.

 Imperial rangers take that responsibility now

Imperial ranger

After a huge amount of research and thinking they decide that the new SIBR or Standard Issue Battle Rifle will be the normal version of the AK47.