Chapter 1 - Vision

One Year Ago

People filed into the gymnasium doors to quickly find a seat. The annual Spring Benefit Concert was about to start. Connor led his date by the hand behind him, guiding her through the crowd. He scanned the sea of chattering people for his sister, Maria, whose daughter would be performing.

"Connor!" She called, waving her hand from the front row seat.

"I see you!" He called back maneuvering through the crowd.

"I'm glad you made it!" Maria greeted her brother, kissing him on both cheeks as Connor returned the gesture. He then leaned across the seats to firmly shake hands with Maria's husband, Roger.

"We almost didn't," Connor smirked, glancing at his date who was biting her lower lip. Maria quirked an accusatory brow at her brother as if she knew exactly why they were running late. "Erm...traffic...You uh, you remember Cynthia?"

"Nice to see you again," Cynthia smiled warmly, reaching her hand out to Maria who glared down at the extended hand at first but eventually exhaled heavily then shook the woman's firmly.

"I remember you," She answered coolly holding the woman's gaze judgmentally. "The program is about to start. Chloe is halfway through the program order."

Connor sat on the end seat with Cynthia on his right and Maria sitting reluctantly next to Cynthia. His dates hand immediately slid high on his thigh to squeeze which was what had started their heated moment in his limo, consequently causing them to almost be late.

He gave a scolding frown to not start that again here. Cynthia batted her eyelashes innocently as her lips titled into a seductive smirk. They couldn't keep doing this. Connor shook his head, leaning over to place a chaste kiss on her temple. Soon the lights dimmed to signal the spring program would begin.

Chloe bravely took the stage when it was her turn. Maria had her video camera out recording this epic moment for their family. Connor put two fingers in his mouth, letting out a loud whistle and cheer for his niece. Her bright eyes found her uncle in the audience, gifting a happy wave in his direction.

When the music started, the 2nd grader went into first position and performed a beautiful ballet routine. She had been studying since she was 3 yet this was her first performance at her elementary school. When Chloe finished, she gave a graceful curtsy earning Connor's repeated whistle and cheering.

"There, can we go now?" Cynthia whispered into his ear, coincidentally biting his earlobe in the process.

"No, no," He chuckled, shifting in his seat. "I promised Chloe I'd watch the whole thing and greet her after the program."

The music for the next song began, soft toned strings and cellos soon joined by a hauntingly beautiful voice resonated from the back of the gymnasium. Connor along with everyone else twisted in their seats to find the source.

A hooded cloaked figure stood at the back center with a lone spotlight shining on them. Connor furrowed his brows silently willing the mysterious siren to reveal her face.

You were once my one companion
You were all that mattered
You were once a friend and father
Then my world was shattered

The figure began taking measured steps forward, languidly removing the hood to reveal the singer with the voice as crystal clear as a bell. She paused halfway up the aisle to begin the next verse. You could hear a pin drop. It was that silent in the very full gymnasium.

Wishing you were somehow here again
Wishing you were somehow near
Sometimes it seemed if I just dreamed
Somehow you would be here