Chapter 19 - Blindness

A/N: video is of the Vivaldi La Notte concerto played at symphony

The pieces the symphony played throughout the program were all breathtaking. Each musician was vastly talented and earned their coveted chair position in this group. Connor was fixated on only one. He could just barely see her face as she played in the center behind the strings, the spotlights catching the glimmering silver on her flute as she played. The tone of Riley's instrument carried straight to his ears then trickled to penetrate deep into his soul.

Finally, it was time for the Vivaldi. Applause erupted as Riley took her spot to the right of the conductor. She dipped her head slightly when she was ready, his arms raised so did other instruments and the count off led to the start of the Concerto.

Connor felt himself holding his breath until Riley lifted that silver flute to her lips. He watched how deftly she inhaled and became lost in her elegant, rich tone. Her vibrato was unlike any he had ever heard.

Quickly, Riley lost herself to this piece. It had always been one of her favorite pieces to play. Swaying gently with the rhythm, fingers flying over the keys making their combinations, Riley told a story with expression.

Murmurs of awe could be heard softly rumbling in the crowd and Connor grinned knowing others were enjoying this as much as him. His eyes widened as the next movement swiftly changed tempos and Riley made it look easy. At a rest, she looked up at the audience and flashed her priceless smile.

The third movement hinted a sad emotion. Riley's eyes sparkled as she swayed and dipped. Her brows raising then lowering or tilting adding expression of her own experience in the musical story. The deep resonance of her low notes tone gave Connor goosebumps as his heart hammered in his chest.

With a small break, a smirk to the director and a deep breath, Riley led the fourth movement. If possible, Connor's eyes widened even more. The articulation of the fast runs seemed impossible to accomplish. Her fingers flew over the keys faster than the prior movement and Connor let out a deep sigh of pride.

Another rest and Riley cast her eyes toward the audience. Connor recognized the smirk tugging at her rosy lips. Too soon the last note sounded, vibrated with Riley's well controlled vibrato then faded to an elegant end.

Connor was one of the first to applaud and he did so loudly. He watched with a wide grin as Riley dipped into a graceful bow, holding her hand out professionally to acknowledge the orchestra behind her. A small, excited sounding voice triumphantly rang above the applause making Connor chuckle. He'd recognize that little voice anywhere.

"Yay! Go Mommy!" Kaylee cheered also full of pride for her mom.

However, it was followed by a harsh "Be quiet!" from Vivian. Connor frowned as he watched Kaylee's face drop to sadness. She promptly sat and planted her chin on her fists. Connor silently promised that next time, Kaylee would sit with him as his date and they would both cheer loud and proud for Riley.

With her song done, Riley returned to her seat. The curtain dropped and lights went on to indicate the intermission.

"Shall we stretch our legs, Cyn?" Connor asked as he stood and offered a hand to his companion.

"I would love to meet that divine flautist," Cynthia replied.

Connor grinned widely at her then winked. "I can probably make that happen." Cynthia tilted her head in confusion. "That was Riley. The woman I've been seeing."

Offering his arm again, Connor led Cynthia toward the stage. Vivian and Kaylee were having hushed heated words so Connor decided to let them be for the moment. Guiding Cynthia to the side of the stage, Connor whispered some words into the ushers ear. He nodded and slipped into the door.